MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/10/2011 06:46 PM

new med finally!

1polarbear
1polarbear  

I got the URSO started today for the PBC. I take it 4 times a day. I am also still taking the Xifaxin twice a day and she increase the lactulose to 45ml 3-4 times a day. I feel like a walking pharmacy between all those and my regular vitamins. But let's just hope this slows the progression down some and I don't have too many side effects from the URSO. I will do what I have to do. I probably won't get into the hepatologist until January but that's ok, at least it is moving in the right direction now.

12/10/2011 07:57 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
VIP Member

Are you taking the 250 mg ursodiol? Notw that I don't have a gall bladder I take the 500 mg twice daily.

45 ml lactulose 3-4 times daily - that's about the most I took, except when things got dicey and had to go every two hours for a while.

Glad to hear your getting the meds you need.

12/11/2011 06:32 AM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

I also take the Urso 500 x2 daily but was cautioned that it is most effective in early stage illness prior to much fibrosis occuring, and not very effective as cirrhosis has occured but does help to keep the ALP number down....hope you get some relief my friend!

12/11/2011 10:22 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Urso, which is just as effective and much cheaper in its generic form, is used to treat bile salts. As my pharmacist says "it kinda cleans the sludge from the system". That's one reason you'll take urso along with immunosuppresants after transplant. The gallbladder is removed at the same time as your native liver. The gallbladder stores bile to help breakdown foods in your intestine. Normally the bulk of food in your stomach causes the bile to be released into the intestine to aid in breaking down fats. Pre-transplant, especially with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, your system needs help processing bile.

12/11/2011 01:35 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I do take the generic form 250mg 4 times a day. I also heard it works better in the early stages but it does still help in the latter stages, I'm at 3/4. And I'm finding that the 45ml 3 times a day is sufficient to keep my bowels moving. Sometimes only twice a day is needed. I am experiencing a little nausea with the Ursodiol, and I am taking it with food but I guess my system might just need to get use to it. I'll deal with it though.

12/11/2011 02:42 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

I found after awhile the nausea went away. It took about a month for me. I don't know if I have the generic or not....here we get drug coverage as residents for free and I have additional coverage from my employer for the small part we pay. My Urso costs me about $20.00 a month...no idea what it is without the employer and government subsidy.

Dennis good point about all transplant patients using Urso to keep things moving...that's good to know!

12/11/2011 07:02 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I have insurance through work and the copay for the Urso is $20. The Xifaxin is a $60 copay but with the help of the pharmaceutical company, I pay nothing. Lactulose is $20 a month too. I feel fortunate to have the insurance and small copays. I financially take care of myself and am there for my 4 kids when needed so all this recent medical stuff has taken it's toll on my budget but it sure is better than the alternative!

12/11/2011 07:34 PM
wdstkdrgnfly
wdstkdrgnfly  

what is Urso and Xifaxin for?

12/11/2011 08:41 PM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Urso is for treatment of bile salts. Xifaxin (brand) or rifaximin (generic) is an antibiotic that works in the gut (does not dissolve in the stomach) to help flush toxins from your system--usually used in conjunction with Mike's friend lactulose to help control hepatic encephalopathy.

12/12/2011 07:04 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

drgnfly, I was told that Urso is standard treatment for PBC and PSC (is that what you are suffering with?) Since both diseases involve destruction of biliary tracts, the Urso can be helpful with both. My biopsy came back leaning more towards PBC but possible PSC because I am AMA negative. My docs made the decision to go with the PBC. I'm going to a Hepa for a second opinion soon or definite conformation. I take the Xifaxin and lactulose for the HE that sets in real quick with just a minor increase in my Ammonia levels. Are you taking anything?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved