MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/19/2011 07:44 AM

ascites feels like?

cyndel
cyndel  

What does ascites feel like? My husband has always been a thin man. but lately he looks 9 months pregnant, but he insists the doctor told him he just needs to loose weight in his midsection. I did "feel" and "poke" his stomach last night and it is hard and solid. Not squishy. I'm thinking that is what ascites feels like if thats what he has?

Can anyone tell me what your ascites felt like when you felt or poked around your stomach? Was it hard or squishy to the touch?

Last night he was very combative and argumentative about the smallest things. I'm wondering if he is starting HE. Can I call his DR office and tell them to ask him to come in and check his levels? I know if I mention it to him it'll turn into an argument and I'm accused of "putting him on his death bed", when in reality I'm his biggest advicate if he'd just realize it.

He is still in denial he has cirrohosis. I've seen the biopsy report. He keeps saying he thinks he was misdiagnosed cause he has no symptoms.

His stomach looks 9 months pregnant, and he is becoming argumentive over little things. I wonder if this is the begining of the symptoms.

What does ascites feel like when feeling around from the outside?

11/19/2011 10:58 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

My wife says I felt hard because I was so full of fluid. Check out my picture from July 2010. Combative and arugmentative could be signs of HE, if you can get him to sign his name or make a five pointed star you can check his small motor movements. I would write my name REALLY small and sloppy.

11/20/2011 03:48 PM
gbsltl1

I'm not a doctor, but if he has always been thin and suddenly he looks 9 months pregnant, and its hard, not soft. you just described me before I went to the hospital to find I was very cirrhotic. Thats not a death sentence because a year and a half later, and a tips procedure. I'm doing great. even my doctor who has seen the shape my liver is in said "has anyone ever told you that you don't look like a liver patient!" it's part of the desease for him to be in denial, but you don't have to be.

gbsltl1

11/20/2011 07:57 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I know I have mild ascitis, it was seen in the MRI. I feel about 5 months pregnant, haven't gotten to full term yet lol. for the last couple of years, before all the liver issues were being explored, I couldn't understand with my change in diet and exercising daily I never lost my stomach. Everyone I talked to said it was menopause but their stomachs were big at the bottom, not right under the rib cage like mine. It is hard and seems to get worse if I eat too much...like the food is stuck there. It's just very uncomfortable. I have always been thin and this stomach issue is bothersome. I hope your husband finds relief soon.

11/22/2011 01:48 PM
cyndel
cyndel  

This has been a gradual weight gain over a year, but its all in his mid section. He looks bloated and pregnant.

11/25/2011 12:53 PM
fergiegirl

My husband is at the point where he "fills up once a week" - and this is after his TIPS procedure ! He is over three hundred lbs to begin with - but ascites does not look normal ! His belly button is inside out , his belly hangs and is HUGE and hard . Poor guy - today he is a bear and telling me how he never complians. I couldn't imagine carry allthat extra weight around . His gastro doc said the other day - "It's as if I gave you three forty pound bags to carry with you all the time - that helped me to understand- even though I've been pregnant ! It's miserable.

11/25/2011 01:10 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Think of it this way, a pint is a pound, a gallon weighs 8. 40 pounds is five gallons you're carrying around. That is what I was carrying around. How do you strap 5 milk jugs around your body? Not comfortable is right.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved