MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/01/2011 12:40 AM

cirrhosis-ascites

GORGEOUSME

hi my friends,im back with an update on my brother,,today they removed 11 and a half liters of fluid from his belly,thats the most they have ever removed,his belly is totally sunken and his rib cage looks totally popped out,,,im traumatized....hes malnourished,and needs to eat more,,healthy food,,,i cried when i saw him after procedure,,i have alot of faith that he will get stronger,,he was already starting to walk,,and cause of the ascites,,it was a major set back,,,grrrrrrrrrrr...cause hes not taking his meds,,,well ,not the way hes supose to....i love my brother with all my heart,,,and i will continue to encourage him to do whats best for him,,i will never give up on him......nor my parents,,,MY POINT IS ,......PLZ TAKE UR MEDS,,,,

09/01/2011 04:44 AM
cocoa2010

Hi Mary

I'm really sorry to hear this setback. Did the doctors in San Antonio give him any advise on diet? Also what medication is he on now? He should feel a lot more comfortable losing all that fluid and I hope it brings his appetite back.

09/01/2011 05:37 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

I can't imagine, the most I had removed was 8 liters. I know what relief that brought me.

Tiaking his meds; is it that he is purposefully not taking them properly, or something else? With me, when I didn't take my meds properly it was a case of my mind not being able to grasp the need well enough. My wife had to be my controller in those cases.

09/01/2011 09:28 AM
cocoa2010

Mike

My partner had 11 litres drained from his lung, it was stop/start over a period of days. The human body is incredible. This was last October. He has made an amazing recovery and is very well now ...... apart from fatigue

09/01/2011 12:07 PM
peppermint1

Hey Gorgeous,

I had 15 lbs drained June 2 this year. Since then I have been taking my medicine religiously, I have not had any problems with the acities so far. Doc said Im doing fine with fluids. If he takes his meds it will help a great deal. The discomfort of all that fluid was unbearable for me, couldnt eat, sleep, walk much, in an all around pissy mood all the time. Thank God for those diuretics!!!! Hope he gets better soon!

09/01/2011 02:15 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Just a quick note for those interested.

1 Liter equals 2.2 pounds. So think about how much weight that is.

11 liters would weigh 24.2 pounds.Add that to the fact that our bodies do no have that much extra space and that fluid is pressing on every organ you have.

There is no wonder that we feel so bad.

09/01/2011 08:52 PM
GORGEOUSME

bottom line is he needs to take his meds.we try so hard to make him,but he gets very bitchy,,and refuses when we tell him,,now he came to the conclusion,that its only to make him pee and has nothing to do with the ascites,,,grrrrrrrr....he has at times mentioned wanting to drink a beer,but he knows better,,and none of us would even dream of providing him with the one thing that would finsh off his liver,,and hes bed ridden,and no way he can go buy one,,he says hes bored and thats why he is asking for one,,always was his excuse..im glad he hasnt had any more episodes of the hepatic encelapothy,,his mind is clear,,hes pretty good about taking his lactulose,hes been sleeping alot lately and eating alot less,i see him thinner,and still no muscle or fat on his body..we had a nutricionist give him a diet that consists of fruits ,vegetables and chicken ,turkey and not too much beef,he had fish the other day and had no reaction,,the time before this he ended up in the er...but we cant make him eat just provide him with the food and the eating part is up to him,,its been a rough 3months,he has been through alot,and so have we,,but its ok..HE AINT HEAVY,HES MY BROTHER .

09/02/2011 03:51 AM
cocoa2010

Mary

Your brother is right, the diuretics are to make him pee more, they won't cure the ascites. I know he's your brother, but what more can you do. Have you asked him if he wants to get better? He sounds very depressed, was he unhappy before he got sick? You need to take care of yourself or you will be ill yourself

09/02/2011 03:53 AM
cocoa2010

what medication is he on apart from diuretics?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved