MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/27/2011 11:23 AM

Nosebleeds again!!!!!

dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

Went to ENT doc on Monday to Have right nostril cauterized Had bleeds again on Wed and Thurs. Went back to the doc on Friday, and he cauterized again. Said area was irritated, but bleeds will stop once a good scab is formed, and it starts to heal. Today, I have already had two bleeds. The second one was a real gusher. Since My inr And prothrobin time are eleevated and my platelets are in the 50,000, I know it will take awhile before it heals. So frustrating!!!! I was better off before I saw the ENT when I was having bleeds once every two weeks.

It comes on so suddenly. On Thursday, I woke up at 4 am and my face and pillow were covered in blood.

My husband is out at the market getting more Kleenex and gauze.

I feel I am chained to my house because I don't know when it will rear it's ugly head.

Susie

Laughing Sad

08/27/2011 02:01 PM
FallenAngel7

hi suzy, im sorry your getting them so badly, i have not had one for 4/5 months now but i was very much like you the beta blockers helped mine, when i was switched to carvedilol they went completly.

08/27/2011 08:26 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

How is your blood pressure?

Are you taking Propranolol?

You can put a little vaseline just inside your nostrils right before bed.

Are you using any steroid based sprayed in your nose?

Good luck.

Sammy

08/28/2011 06:22 AM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

My blood pressure is normal, around 110 over 70. I. Used to take propranolol for portal hypertension. They took me off it after I had the tips procedure done in February. Before, my pressure was low around 90 over 60. The doc gave me a scrip for a prescription cream to put on it to prevent infection.

One of my meds, calcitonin-salmon for prednisone induced osteopenia is a nasal spray. The doc told me not to spray the affected nostril.

I got thru the evening and overnite without a recurrence, thanks goodness!!!

Just. Trying to take it one day at a time?

Susie

08/28/2011 06:57 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Susie!

My kids and I used to get nosebleeds just by looking at each other. Mine were as a youth, as were the boys. Some of us ended up getting cauterized but the bleeds continued for several weeks after the procedure. Your doc indicated it will take a while for a good scab to develop and then to heal. I think you have the right attitude now of taking it one day at a time. The cirrhosis is affecting how fast (or slowSad ) you will heal so try to be patient for a while. If you still have bad bleeds in a few weeks, then it is time to go back to the doc. In the meantime do everything you can to protect your nose. Treat it like a newborn: gently wiping and cleaning, no strange (ie anything!) chemicals and tender handling (even to the point of how you lay on a pillow).

Best of luck!

Dennis

08/28/2011 02:47 PM
TzuWho2
TzuWho2  

Susie, if you haven't, try Bleedarrest, when your nose bleeds start. It takes the moisture out of the blood and promotes quick clotting. You can get it at Walgreens or probably other pharmacies. I had one this morning myself. Hadn't had one for a few weeks, then the dam burst, just when I was getting ready for church.

Good luck with them, I empathize.

Bonnie

08/28/2011 03:02 PM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

Thanks for the tip Bonnie. Next time I am at Walgreen's, I will look for it. So far so good today!

Susie

08/28/2011 05:02 PM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

Yes, Thanks Bonnie. I haven't had much for nosebleeds lately but have in the past so why not have the stuff in the house?

Hi Susie

Peace and Joy to you

Paul

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved