MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/03/2011 04:49 PM

INR

jimmyw

How do they compute this? I haven't seen it on my labs.

What is the typical INR seen with cirrhosis? I'm trying to compute my MELD

Thanks

07/03/2011 05:59 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

The INR is a specific test. If you haven't seen they probably didn't request it.

Although most do see a increase in their INR not all do. There is no typical INR seen with Cirrhosis, Every one is different.

Normal is usually between (0.8-1.2) for most labs

07/04/2011 06:06 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

07/04/2011 07:04 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

The test can also be done with a simple instrument almost like a diabetic uses for testing blood sugar. They prick your finger, get a tiny bit of blood on the test strip and within a minute voila it reads out PT and INR.

07/06/2011 07:16 AM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

My guess, (not being a doctor) is that since all your other tests were normal they decided they didn't need to do INR (also called prothrombotin) testing at this time. Your symptoms are minimal and the lab values indicate you're doing great.

If you find your MELD let us know. We've all calculated our own. I'm betting (without real money of course Smile ) that you get a 6.

07/06/2011 08:37 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Yeah, SSS, I'm surprised that the PT/INR is not included in the hepatic panel. I almost always had to ask for it to be tested. At least until last August when they started tracking my MELD real close.

07/07/2011 05:01 AM
TamieJP
TamieJPPosts: 2320

The nurse at Mark's GP called yesterday to say they were ordering a bunch of tests. I ALMOST asked for an INR to be drawn but could not remember if it would be in a panel or not. Now I wished I'd have gone ahead and asked. The form is probably already in the mail now.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved