MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/02/2011 11:02 PM

SSC Disability

rpooo
rpooo  

I have HE and ESLD (C)

So recently I applied for Disability as my doctor suggested. DENIED!

My spleen is moderatley enlarged to 17 cm

hiatal hernia

umbilicle hernia

gall stones

muscle and joint pain daily

grade 3 varices

Hepatic Encephalopathy

So as you might suspect if I lift to heavy or take a hit to my midsection I may hemorage and risk death.

Per the request of SSC I was sent to a sychologist for an exam. The scale they use to grade the exam is called

Global Assessment of Functioning Scale.

Scale Consider psychological, social, and occupational functioning on a

hypothetical continuum of mental health-illness.

My score was 60 out of a possible 100. 100 being the most healthy.

51-60 Moderate symptoms ( e.g., flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks ) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning ( e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers ).

So today I get my leter and it says I am denied? WTF more do I have to have go wrong with me. I have a lawyer and this was my first time applying. It makes me wonder, can I really work? I was fired from my last job for not being able to catch on quick enough. prior to that i was the assistant chief engineer for a television station. I have never been fired before! oh what to dooooo? Any suggestions?

Randy Blink

Post edited by: rpooo, at: 07/02/2011 11:03 PM

07/03/2011 06:18 AM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

Randy,

I was denied twice before I was approved for Social Security. The second time I was evaluated by a Social Security Administration psychologist and doctor who knew nothing about liver disease and HE. After my second denial, I hired a social security lawyer because I could not work, even if it was a desk job. She had me see another psychologist who gave me a long series of tests with reading comprehension, figuring out puzzles, and memory. Given the proper testing, I failed miserably. The Social Security psych just asked what year it was and who was President, things that I knew.

Result: Was awarded disability prior to my administrative hearing including back payments from 2008.

It was a long and hard process, especially while sick, but definitely, worth it.

Susie

07/03/2011 06:31 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ramdy,

Being denied the first time is not uncommon.

I am sure that your lawyer will have plenty of suggestions.

With diseases like Cirrhosis Usually it is a combination of issues that help you to get approved.

Some or all of these you may have already done.

First records of ALL medical test including your biopsy , MRI or Ct scan as proof of diagnosis.

Then complications and medical records of treatments. ( And ALL side effects)

ie:

HE treated with lactulose 30cc 2 x per day causing severe diarrhea. Resulting in bowel incontinence due to distance of job from restroom.

Insomnia treated with Ambien causing inability to concentrate on job.

Fatigue resulting in frequent absences.

Other complications are covered in the blue book The point is you have to show that you are unable to work.

Once you reach the age of 50 it is easier because they stop considering new job training as much , as your age increases they reach a point where new job training isn't considered at all. Before that it's not so much that you can do the job you have been trained for It's more can you do ANY job.

Read the Blue book if you haven't

Keep records of everything and talk to that lawyer.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/5.00- Digestive-Adult.htm#5_05

07/03/2011 09:56 AM
TzuWho2
TzuWho2  

Sorry about your denial Randy. From everything I know they deny everyone the first time. You need to talk to your lawyer about the next step in the appeal process. Keep at it. There is a group here too strictly about the ss disabiliity. Check it out for valuable hints. Others here that are on disability will probably be around to give you advice too. Good luck and don't give up.

07/03/2011 11:07 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Randy, for my view see the post "Requirements for SSC regarding HE". My psych. test was mostly simple things I could do, just not quickly. My key was that I met the other requirements as well, so didn't have to qualify solely on HE.

07/04/2011 07:26 PM
rpooo
rpooo  

Thanks very much everyone for your comments! Your are all so helpful. I'll be calling the lawyer tomorrow and starting round two! The first time around took 1 week she of the 120 days. Anyone have ideas as to how much longer round two takes? Mikealpha1 they had a doctor fly in from Dallas to El Paso to give me the test and there was hardly any testing at all. His assistant asked me most of the questions then he came into the room and asked me 5 simple questions. One of them I couldnt answer and the other four took a bit but I got them.

So I don't know maybe my lawyer needs to set me up with more complex testing. Although I though the physical problems would've been enough.

Randy

07/04/2011 08:57 PM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

Hi Randy:

I think my strategy is best in the long run. I'm 60 years old. I just filed at the beginning of June. I have cirrhosis, Portal Hypertension,the resultant fatigue, Low Platelets, I sleep all the time etc. plus I have a prostate that has me in the bathroom all the time, and no doctor wants to operate on because of the platelets and elevated INR.

I'm a Sheet metal worker and welder so how am I going to do that job. I'm either asleep or in the john, so they'll turn me down the first time, but I'll just use my sure fire strategy, it's the same as everybody else, I'll just keep developing new symptoms and documenting the old ones until they finally give in.

I'll let you know how it goes and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Peace and Joy to All Paul

07/04/2011 11:30 PM
rpooo
rpooo  

Paul I think you have the perfect plan! I think the part about this that bothers me the most is with the lawyer I have. The lawyer himself has not been involved in my case at all. He has left the entire first approach up to his case manager. Now that I have been denied I have been told he will get involved personally! So apparently this guy thnks I have so much money I can just sit around and live off of my wifes income which leaves me feeling terrible. I sure wish I could just get back to work!

Randy

07/05/2011 05:24 AM
countrymusicfan123
countrymusicfan123  

Hi Randy I too went through this process my Lawyer left everything up to his manager as well. I was denied the fist time like everyone mostly does then I appealed the second time same thing. Then my lawyer got the case in front of a judge and I was in the room less then 10 mins and rewarded the whole process took about a year. But don't give up the lawyer knows how to handle these cases and if you give up then you have to start at square one again which means an even longer process. It was tough at times waiting and that year was stressful financially but well worth the fight Take care

07/05/2011 09:38 AM
TzuWho2
TzuWho2  

Randy you can do it. I don't know what those psych tests are but in my opinion don't try so hard. If you can't answer the question quickly then say you don't know. It is like an eye exam, if you struggle and squint and try real hard to read the letters, you have defeated the purpose of the exam - told to me by a GOOD eye doctor. Made all the difference in my next prescription. I am not advocating lying, but if the answer doesn't come easily you don't know it without struggling. Struggling is part of this disease. Everyone talks about documentation so do it. Document your HE episodes and what happens. Document your hand writing, drawing that star and other things Mikealpha discusses. Have your wife document your behavior too, good to have that second opinion of what you are really like. You will succeed but it takes perserverance when you deal with buracreacy. Many hugs, Bonnie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved