MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/07/2011 10:31 PM

Portal Hypertension

rpooo
rpooo  

Hello all. I am searching for suggestions to reduce portal hypertension. I would not be a good candidate for the TIPS procedure since I have hepatic encephalopathy.

As far as I know diet and exercise just about sums it up right? When exercising being cautious due to lifting restrictions (hernias) and accelerated heart rate (Varicies)

Thank you for any suggestions Smile

Randy

Post edited by: rpooo, at: 06/07/2011 10:36 PM

06/08/2011 03:38 AM
dawnrharv
dawnrharv  

Mark has Portal Hypertension. He's been on propranolol for several years now, a low dose that is supposed to lower the BP in the portal vein. (He does not have high BP, so they really watch his doses... it really makes him weak, tired, etc.) He also has scopes done on a regular basis to do any necessary banding of the esophageal varices. Outside of that, not drinking alcohol and any meds that strain the liver... he avoids at this point in time. He's allergic to asprin and anything like it (advil), so his only option for pain relief is tylenol based meds... not so good on the liver... so he's learned to try to manage his pain any other way before taking meds.... Not sure that is much help, but it's what he can do at this point...... wishing you the very best!

dawn

06/08/2011 06:17 AM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

I, too, had portal hypertension and was on 10 mg of proprananol three times a day for several years. My blood pressure was low due to the medication and I fell several times. Once, I fractured my tailbone. I did not have ascites, but had edema in my ankles and feet. I also had increased pressures on the right side of my heart due to the portal hypertension.

I have HE and have been on laculose and Xifaxan since 2008. I had the tips procedure done in February because they needed to remove a clot from my portal vein to restore blood flow to the vein. They needed to keep the vein viable because that is what they will hook up the transplanted liver to. They warned me that my HE might get worse with the procedure.

Interestingly enough, my HE has improved since my tips, not worsened. (knock on wood). They took me off proprananol, and my bp returned to normal. I still have problems with edema in my feet and ankles. I go to the cardiologist next week to see if my pressures have improved. I have a tips recheck in July to make sure the shunt is clear of clots and they may decide to close off some veins my body grew to compensate for my liver disease.

I currently take 30ml of enclose a day, more if I feel foggy. I take 1200 mg of Xifaxan as the 200mg version is cheaper than the 550mg tablet on my Prescription Part d plan.

Susie

I have small varicose in. my esophagus, and fortunately have not experienced a bleed.

Post edited by: dachsiefan, at: 06/08/2011 06:22 AM

06/08/2011 11:09 PM
rpooo
rpooo  

Thank you very much for the information Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved