MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/28/2011 08:11 PM

Quick question on appetite

mike3232

Is it common for a person in end stage to be hungry all the time or do they have lack of appetite?

Thank you all for all your help

05/28/2011 11:25 PM
Capedrifter

Uncommon from our experience. I believe my Diary entries frequently bemoan the decline of appetite and the consequences that has on the loss off protein, muscle and weight. That said, since the arrival of a dear friend that is a fantastic cook (I boiled eggs successfully once recently), Momma Cape has begun eating regularly and we have heard her say "I'm hungry" over the last few days. So, your question is quite interesting. I'm working the night shift right now when pain usually suppresses any desire for food. We are approaching the end of this rough road, I am sure. J

05/29/2011 07:26 PM
TzuWho2
TzuWho2  

Mike I rarely have a real appetite and don't usually want to eat. Then I go in streaks where I want to eat anything that isn't nailed down (lucky for me I don't keep much in the house) but I believe that is from stress. Right now I don't want to eat and when I do I get too darn sick and too much pain.

05/31/2011 05:05 AM
cocoa2010

Mike3232

this can be a sign of diabetes

05/31/2011 06:00 AM
cocoa2010

my last reply wasn't very helpful - sorry!

It's a good idea to keep a diary, note down how you feel any changes you notice and your weight. The internet is very informative, but some medical sites really look on the bleak side, quoting figures and percentages not real experiences

05/31/2011 05:50 PM
claire74
claire74  

it does seem the more pain you are in the less you think about food, thankfully i am prescribed ensure, i make sure i take them to stop me getting too weak.

06/01/2011 04:19 AM
cocoa2010

Hi Claire

Are you in Scotland (where prescriptions are free)? I ask because I tried to get some healthy shakes (similar to Ensure) for my partner when he couldn't eat, but I was told they are too expensive to get on the NHS in England. I made some myself with milk, yoghurt and complan ...... he didn't like them much though! He has a much healthier appetite now

06/01/2011 08:43 AM
claire74
claire74  

no i'm in wales, free here too. i think they only give them to patients with malnutrition, i have lost most of my muscle in my arms and legs. build up is not too expensive and they taste nice, just add milk. ensure is very expensive, the chemist left the order form on a box a few weeks ago, they cost £105.00 and i have two boxes per month. i would never afford them if i had to pay. if his weight gets low you should ask again.

06/01/2011 09:28 AM
cocoa2010

thanks Claire, my partner is a lot better these days. When he was very ill he was wasting away and looked like a fragile little bird. He was in hospital in France and they gave him special shakes 3 times a day called Frehbin (???) from Germany. When we came home I was told they were too expensive to get in England

06/01/2011 01:00 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

You might try the protein mixes, they are primarily either soy protein or whey protein. You can find them at health food stores or in the sports nutrition section. They can come in a powder form to mix with fluid of your choice. I found the whey protein to mix better. Watch the sodium, though. There is also a prescription only drink, Nepro, which comes targeted to different problems, including an hepatic one. Again, that would be expensive. Good luck to you.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved