MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/18/2011 08:09 AM

meld score of 16

radarsmom
radarsmom  

my last meld score yesterday was 16. last year when i went to be evaluated it was 26. wow!!! my mom belives it was due being in intensive care with ards for 3 weeks. what are the chances of a person receiving a transplant with a meld score of 16 with all things being equal? i have been on the list for almost 6 month.

05/18/2011 08:34 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

radarsmom,

It depends on your Center, and the number of patients listed in your region.

Some centers (although controversial)have been known to transplant as low as 15. But it's more common for the MELD to be 20+

Many people wait year on the list. It is also very common for MELDS to go up and down.

Was your ARDS related to Cirrhosis (Heptopulmonary Syndrome) It it was you can petition UNOS for extra points.

Depending on the cause for your liver disease a improvement in the MELD can last a long time and even continue to improve. Many patients with alcoholic Cirrhosis improve enough over time to be removed from the transplant list.And go on to live normal lives as long as they refrain from all alcohol.

16 springweeds QP adak

05/18/2011 08:49 AM
radarsmom
radarsmom  

well i don't know i was not in the same hospital that i am listed with. i went in because i had pneumonia.the pulmanary doc's had to sedate me because of the test that had to be done and that was when the ards hit. the next time i talk with my coordinator i will ask her that question.

thanks so much. i guess i am impatient and want to have this transplant done. i am only 43 and have been on disabilty for 6 years. i need to be a productive person again.

05/18/2011 12:09 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Hi, radarsmom, I had a MELD of 19 at the beginning of May, 2009, by August it was down to 15. It was another year + before it got back up to 17, then four more months until my transplant at 36. Overall, I was listed for 3 1/2 years before transplant. So, MELD can go up and down and in general without extenuating circumstances, like bleeding varices, its not so common to be transplanted below 20. BTW I'm in region 4 with blood type B.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved