MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2011 12:21 PM

Spasms

iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

Has anyone experienced spasms in there liver? I do periodically and it is very painful they last over an hour then go away? If so what causes them?

05/04/2011 01:00 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have never had "spasms" in the liver.

However I do have "adhesions" , scar tissue from previous surgeries that extend from my liver to my intestines .

These are often painful especially after a meal (even a few bites) I had never thought about it before but it does feel like a spasm of sort.

If you've ever had surgery of any kind this may be your problem.

Remember pain is always a sign that your Dr needs to know.

New pain or worsening pain can be a emergency and the only way to know for sure is to have it checked out.

05/04/2011 01:33 PM
Capedrifter

See if this site adds to your knowledge about spasms: http://tinyurl.com/3v2qru3

05/04/2011 03:34 PM
iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

The only surgery I had in that area was gallbladder removed. My liver is enlarged and clicked on that site too many things to actually pin point. The spasm feels like a tightness like something is tightend up almost like a contraction (ladies you can relate to that) and stays that way for a long time then releases and is fine after a period of time I have brought this up to my Gastro Dr. he has no clue just tells me to get my blood work done again??? Its usually fine. Still does not explain the spasms.....

05/04/2011 04:19 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

When I had my Gallbladder surgery (Years before I started getting sick.) I already had

Scar tissue in the area. So you can have it with out surgery, But sometimes it only takes one surgery.

What you describe sounds a lot like what I feel.

There isn't much they can do about it.

Surgery to remove the tissue usually results in more scarring. Mine has progressed to the point that it is causing a partial bowel blockage, Further limiting what I am able to eat. Because of my liver they will only operate if the blockage becomes life threatening.

You should insist that your Dr try to at least address the problem. Mine was actually diagnosed with a upper GI while I ate , They could see the area of blockage and the pulling during digestion. After that I had a MRI to make certain it wasn't something more serious.

05/04/2011 06:17 PM
TamieJP
TamieJPPosts: 2324

I remember my gall bladder attack felt like contractions as I told my husband that I ought to take a baby home when it's all said and done.

05/04/2011 06:23 PM
iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

I was not aware that gallbladder surgery would cause so much damage I have had an MRI and CT and there was no bowel obstruction, however I do have slow digestion called gastroparisis. They did the test by me eating an egg sandwich with radio active stuff

then scanned me while the food digested. I digest my food at 40% compared to the normal person. It does create more nassua than usual and I stay full longer but this does not

feel like that at all??? Guess its the scar tissue thanks

05/04/2011 08:07 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Iwiham,

Been there, hopefully the solution is as easy as it was for me.

Our liver tends to swell, this puts extra pressure on our intestines, trapping gas.

Right under our liver the intestine makes a sharp turn, with the added pressure gas gets trapped causing pain.

Thats why the pain goes away. Next time you get that pain, take some Gaviscon, see if it helps, my doctor suggested it, and it was like magic.

Good luck.

Sammy.

05/05/2011 09:52 AM
allaboutlife

Iwiham,

I have had that feeling many times. Most of the time it is when I lie down. It feels like my liver is spasming as it moves from the reposition of my body. After a while it goes away.

Wierd feeling

05/05/2011 11:47 AM
iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

Thanks allaboutlife, I appreciate the post at least I know now I am not crazy lol. Not that is a fun thing to have usually happens after I bend over then stand upright. Thanks for the post. Cheryl

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved