MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/31/2010 12:18 AM

fell off the wagon

brittany2488

i am so mad at myself,,when i got diagnosis in june i put the drinkin behind me..didnt pick up till now ,i can try an blame the holidays.just a big excuse.my whole other life was alcohol.friend ,family.im so scared i know its poison,my liver is doing well ,still there no worse yet.my problem is i ask myself alot 'WHY ME'i look around an i see people downing there alchol every day for like 30 yrs.i dont wish thid disease on anyone..but god sent mr a bad hand.im so in pain everyjoint in my body,neck,shoulders.upper arm,i csnt put my coat on.pull my hair up.get dressed is a painful chore.havent felt my feet since april.ive just had it.thx for letting me vent ,i needed that an im so happy for this site its a blessing.people that understand! [img]

12/31/2010 02:22 AM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's good, though, that you are aware that drinking IS poison to your liver, and that you MUST stop if you want a shot at maintaining liver function. Gotta have that liver kiddo, so you need to start taking care of it pronto.

I sent you Gail's website address when you first joined, did you get a chance to read it yet? Here it is again, just in case:

http://www.livingwithcirrhosis.weebly.com

I know you must be filled with questions and concerns, being so newly diagnosed, and we look forward to being here to answer those that we can, and finding answers somewhere for those that we can't!

I won't bombard you with information just yet though Smile After you have read the information in Gail's site, write down any questions you have and we'll roll up our sleeves and start gettin' dirty!

I know the others will be along shortly to welcome you and put in a few cents. In the meantime, I'm glad you're here.

Hugs,

Bobbi

Post edited by: bjlvls, at: 12/31/2010 02:27 AM

12/31/2010 03:53 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

brittany,

Just wanted to pop in and say Welcome to the group.

BJ's right you know what your problem is. A lot of people can't face the fact that alcohol is a problem.

But please know there is hope.

Patients with alcohol induced Cirrhosis that avoid All alcohol have a good prognosis. Most recovering enough to live a normal life span.

Of course all alcohol has to stop forever. Please seek help if you need it .

12/31/2010 08:46 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey brittany!

Welcome to the group! I agree with Bobbi: don't be too hard on yourself!!! Having faced problems with alcohol and cirrhosis myself, I can tell you that both can be conquered!

There are many different programs available for help with dealing with alcohol. The most popular is AA and you will find a lot of supporters in the Alcoholism Support Group right here on MDJ. There is also a program called SMART Recovery® (Self Management And Recovery Training) that helps individuals gain independence from addiction (substances or activities) based on scientific knowledge and which evolve as evidence-based practices of addiction recovery evolve. (My personal preference) But this is a subject for either the other group or you can contact me thru a PM.

The bottom line for anyone with liver disease, regardless of what caused it is that all alcohol must be totally eliminated from your own personal consumption. The liver (really every organ but...) is an incredible organ. Its mission is primarily to filter the blood, removing toxins (i.e. poisons) and producing components vital for the rest of our system. It (the liver) really doesn't like it when too many toxins (like alcohol) have to be processed. (Do you like to work overtime all the time? Laughing ) Now, if the amount of regular toxins is reduced, or certain types (i.e. bad ones like alcohol or certain drugs) of toxins are eliminated, the liver has a chance to recover somewhat and lead a relatively normal existence. Don't forget that the liver and the skin are the ONLY two organs in our body that can regenerate themselves. The "live-r" is also something that you can't live without!

You have managed to get past the very first and very major obstacle in your path to health: you have recognized that you have a problem and you are now ready to move past denial and quickly get to the recovery stage of your emotions. You might want to read Emotional Stages Of Recovery to get a little bit better understanding of what you are feeling now and where you are going.

Again, I want to welcome you to the group! Let's get you heading in the right direction and then start answering your questions about liver disease. I hope that you become an active participant in our group! We all care about each other in this group and want each of us to succeed!

Dennis

12/31/2010 04:42 PM
brittany2488

hi everyone and thx for all your responces it means so much to me..i hate to put this out there all ive been doing on here is wining..i want to tell u all positive but now i think im filling with fluid..im looking like im pregnant{bloated}..and my breathing is a lil shallow..this is how i got diagnost same..thing happen..as u all know i fell off the wagon..did have that many but i do know 1 is too many and i think im paying the price again now..im gonna give it a few day see if it goes dwn..it sometimes does and ill let you guys know..b4 i call my pcp..thx for listning..brit

12/31/2010 10:44 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

make sure to limit sodium and if it gets any worse please see your Dr

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved