Ask a Question
10/13/2010 06:55 AM

Liver transplant

barbo

If you have a transplant and your body rejects it do you die right away? Barbo

10/13/2010 08:37 AM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

No, rejection usually takes place over a period of time. As I understand, most people experience some rejection symptoms as the body recognizes the new liver as a foreign object, but the rejection process is monitored closely and controlled by adjustments in medication. A second transplant has occured in some who totally rejected the first organ, and they've gone on to thrive afterward. Gail's favorite site, Transplant Experience gives a good description of what happens, as do several of the other sites.

10/13/2010 08:39 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Barbo!

No, graft (the new liver) rejection is something that comes on slowly and is largely treatable. I'm not sure of the exact symptoms of rejection, except that I've been told to watch for a fever or unusual abdominal pain. If I get either I'm to call my coordinator (RN) and she will talk me thru the next steps which could be lab tests or, worse case, hospitalization for heavy duty monitoring/treatment. In any case, rejection episodes are not uncommon or unexpected following transplant. Again I repeat, these episodes are treatable and RARELY have poor outcomes. You'll be placed high on the list for another transplant if your situation were to get really bad.

I sense that you have a lot of concerns (very understandably!!!) about the transplant process. Please ask away here, or in a PM, as I want to hold your "virtual" hand if you are getting closer to really needing the transplant. I know there are others in this group that probably have some of the same concerns as you do so I hope they ask questions too.

One other observation is that you probably feel that your emotions are "on a roller coaster" where the other riders are the infamous "concern about costs", "fear of the unknown (the surgery, the new meds, life after transplant...)" and "what's going on in my body right now". I found that if I tried to observe the roller coaster from above (ie, detached) the ride wasn't quite so scary!

Hang in there my friend!

Dennis

PS: BJ and I overlapped so some of my post is redundant. Take that as two sources telling you the same thing. BJ's references are really good, I've read them myself.

PPS: You might also consider taking this discussion to the organ-transplants group so that you have an audience beyond just me of post-transplant people. We're not real active there yet and I know you have a lot of virtual friends here so do either or both--it's up to you. I did post an anonymous request on the OT group for information on the med cost question...

Post edited by: dmanflan, at: 10/13/2010 08:49 AM

10/13/2010 09:11 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Belay that last PPS--If you would like me to I would be happy to share your posts on the OT group for you. Other than using a female pronoun, I'd keep you anonymous as my "friend". It's totally up to you.

10/13/2010 12:08 PM
barbo

Dman - Yes that would be great! And you are right my mind is a real mess right now. Fear being my number one emotion right now. The cost issue is really the big one for me because if I can't get on the list the rest of it is moot. Also I'm experiencing a feeling of unworthiness because I caused this myself with my drinking and part of my mind says I should reap what I sow. I know that's not a good attitude to have but it's something I can't seem to help. For now, until I see the Dr. again I would like to stick with questions to you and the rest of the group and you are welcome to pass them along. Barbo

10/13/2010 04:43 PM
mbwheeler
mbwheeler  

Barbo, you're in my thoughts. Be strong and keep a positive attitude. Look into all the options I've seen other people post - there is help out there. Your drinking may have caused this but that's a thing of the past right now ... look to the future and know that there are plenty of people who believe you can beat this. Marie

10/13/2010 09:58 PM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

Barb, You are doing a great job of pulling yourself together, and making plans for every eventuality. Now, though, it's time for you to give guilt permission to leave the picture.

You wouldn't be human if at some point in your life you hadn't done some things you weren't proud of.Who hasn't? Your very soul has been shattered – maybe by grief and shame - maybe by insecurity and lack of faith - but most assuredly by pure unadulterated fear.

What's important now is how you decide to put those shards back together. They will snap into place, and as they do, you can finally begin to form a greater appreciation of life and each new day. You can finally begin to see clearly how to let those experiences change you, and to be at peace knowing that you ARE entitled to grab for that second chance. It's time to forget the negative - you ARE entitled to put all of the negativity behind you.

Now it's time to make good memories. Not for yourself anymore, but memories to give back to those who need you. In doing that, you can be inspired to hope and pray that when the new days eventually cease, only cherished memories will remain within the framework of that finally finished puzzle.

Sometimes it takes a smack in the head for us to finally put 2 and 2 together, but luckily you're one smart cookie. No smacks in the head for you. -Bj-

10/14/2010 03:01 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Bsrb, BJ talks about 2nd chances. I'm sure you've heard the story of the prodigal son. You feel like you should reap what you sow, but you can also celebrate returning to a sober state.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved