MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/07/2010 06:21 PM

anxious about tommorow

dublincolleen

can i ask what may be a silly question. is it usual for the transplant centre to admit you for a week or two when your having a review done.the reason im asking is any other time we have been there its just an out patient visit but this time we have been told to expect ken to be kept in for at least a week maybe two.as most of you know hes been in hospital for the last 2 weeks and tommorow he is being transfered from the general hospital to the transplant unit.the original appointment was for tommorow to meet with the co ordinator. im just wondering why the change but yet today when they told us i didnt even think to ask any questions.

Colleen

09/07/2010 07:41 PM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

Usually in the U.S., evaluation is done on an out-patient basis. Sometimes when people have conditions which would require closer monitoring, like Ken's multiple health issues, in-patient evaluation is preferred. Then of course there are the emergent cases when the life of the patient is compromised that in-patient eval is required.

In the U.S. insurance companies and government health care programs have guidelines regarding how many consecutive days a patient may remain in the hospital without compelling medical evidence to justify the longer stay.

I'll bet they just want to keep a close eye on him, so they're being cautious. I'm glad he has that option. Colleen, you're like most of us when it comes to asking questions. It's amazing how well the brain works when we're not under pressure, huh? Take care and try not to worry too much.

Love and prayers, Bobbi

09/07/2010 07:44 PM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

Oh, by the way -- repeat after me -- here, there are no silly questions, there are no silly questions ...Laughing

09/08/2010 03:41 PM
dublincolleen

Thank you Bobbi, it was good news all round. apparently the general hospital forgot to inform the transplant unit he was in hospital and they would have preffered to do a draining rather than slower process,but they sorted that out. the simple explaination for being done as an in patient is if mobility is compromised its easier for us to manage and they can make sure he has no further complications if possible.

ken will stay in the general for a week to ten days and then be admitted to the transplant for a last round of tests and they hope to transplant by christmas. the transplant co ordinator felt things were going too fast for him and he needed time she also felt the kids needed a meeting to discuss any questions they might have.

so its definately happening, Colleen xxx

09/08/2010 04:16 PM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

Magnificent news Colleen! Please let us know how things progress.

Isaiah 40:31!

Bobbi

09/08/2010 04:26 PM
dublincolleen

Thanks Bobbbi. I did bear in mind my lesson for the day from you "there are no silly questions" so i asked plenty today , i even brought my notebook and pen and left with booklets on all the information i was looking for. I think the teacher deserves an Apple LOL

09/08/2010 04:41 PM
mbwheeler
mbwheeler  

Colleen, I am so happy for you and your family. Keeping fingers crossed and sending prayers and lots of cheer your way.

Marie

09/08/2010 05:05 PM
kacc
kacc  

Colleen,

God is good ALL the time! Keep us postedSmile

09/08/2010 05:19 PM
triciaturner
triciaturner  

So happy for you. You guys are in my prayers.

09/08/2010 07:29 PM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Colleen!

Glad to hear everything is looking good at this point! Hopefully the remaining time in general will help even further improve Ken's position. I must say the medical system is really, really different in your country than it is here! I hope your fears are eased a little.

As you two begin the next part of the journey, I'm sure you'll have many questions. If they come up in between your being able to talk to the docs, send me a message and I will try to help! I think I will try to research a little about transplants in Ireland tooSmile

Dennis

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved