MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/13/2010 04:06 PM

Severe leg cramps

Arod54
Arod54  

Hi everyone haven't been on the site for a long time but I guess I am back. My husband has last stage liver chirrosis and is having terrible leg cramps all of a sudden he will be in horrible pain. Is anyone else dealing with this? And is there anything that can be done?

Thanks,

Alicia

06/13/2010 06:41 PM
jojo196323
jojo196323  

i have charlie horses when i sleep,not sure whats causing it.have to wait till i go back to dr

06/13/2010 09:58 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Alicia,

Hi , Good to see you back.

Have they checked his sodium level, Low level (Hyponatremia) causes severe cramping.

And I mean severe.

Gail

06/14/2010 07:23 AM
lovinwife

Hi Alicia,

My dh also gets charlie horses in his legs, and sometimes in his back. I don't know if his are caused by low-sodium, since he won't get checked for that, but the cramps occur more often since his dx of cirrhosis, so it probably is. He yells sometimes, they hurt so bad; but they usually pass within a few minutes.

How long do they last for your husband? Just curious.

Hope he's feeling better.

Anna

06/14/2010 06:16 PM
jademoon45
jademoon45  

my leg cramps just started over

the last month or so...I have

been having muscle spasm in

my back for a year. They dont

know what causes it. I know

it ranks a 14 on a scale of

1-10 for pain. Mine in the back

last for hours on hours. Have

had to go to the ER a few times

to get some relief.

The leg cramps dont last long

however they are just as severe.

My right side is whats affected

by everything. My foot has turned

so that if it could the bottom

of my foot would touch the inside

of the leg. same thing with it

cramping in the toes being pulled

up to try to touch the top of my

foot. I am literally in tears

when this happens. I know

banana's help if the potassium is

low and if it is normal they can

cause it to rise and get them

then. Some days I just feel like

I'm damned if i do and damned if i

dont.

Ann

06/21/2010 07:29 AM
pomy1

Hi,

I was diagnosed not long ago with cirrhosis and noticed that I too have severeleg cramps when I sleep. I didn't realize that the low sodium could be the problem. Since my dr has forrbidden me to drink more than a liter per day, I thought it was due to the lack of fluids in the body.

Pomy

06/21/2010 02:08 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

pomy1,

You can have cramping from Low sodium (hyponatremia) from both too much fluid (delutional) and from not enough (dehydration).

The fluid in your stomach is called ascites. Most cirrhosis patients have a lower sodium to began with this extra fluid can cause the sodium to be "watered down"

Low sodium can be serious. I know of at least one case where the person was given extra MELD points because of low sodium.

Gail

06/25/2010 05:46 PM
littlepea
littlepea  

Reggie doesn't get leg cramps very often but he drinks lots and lots of water every day and I think that's why.

I did a little research on line and found a site witha discussion about the cramping. They all said they have to drink a lot of water. They also recommended Gator Ade which I drink when I get leg cramps and it stops them almost immediately.

Does Mike take fluid pills? If he does then he needs to be sure and drink plenty of water and if he drinks anything with caffien in it he needs to drink even more water.

Let me know how he's doing.

Sandy

07/05/2010 10:25 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Oooh and do they hurt. My hepatologist said zinc would help. I'm taking 50mg/day hardly bothered at all now. I've got all the other problems mentioned above too. Check w/ Dr. if zinc ok.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved