MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2010 11:48 PM

Father may be released, but...??

traceyann75

Hello,

First of all, I am so glad this support group is out here, it has helped me gain valuable information about my father's condition. Thank you all so much, and my condolences go out to those who have lost loved ones.

I saw my dad this morning, a little better but still having breathing problems. A physical therapist stopped by, and offered help when he comes home. I want to help him as much as I can, so what foods, drinks, activities and warning signs should I look for? The doctor's have been so vague on these topics, so frustrating!

Any answers would be great, thank you all so much!

Tracey

03/18/2010 04:53 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tracey,

First get copies of his most recent labs , so that you know where he stands.

With the problems he has had with fluid it will be very important to limit his salt intake.

Make certain he gets enough nutrition in general. If he won't eat , try Ensure.

Make certain that he doesn't require fluid restriction. If he does, find out how limited he should be.

Be careful with sport drinks. Many contain a lot of sodium.

Accept help when offered. Caregiver burn out is a big problem.

Watch for changes, increased fluid or increased difficulty breathing are big warning signs. Fever , increased confusion could be a sign of infection

The most important is to use your common sence , If something has you worried, call his Dr. If you have any doubt , take him to the er.

Most people know when something is wrong. So trust you instincts.

Gail

03/18/2010 07:24 PM
traceyann75

Thanks Gail!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved