MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/27/2013 05:21 PM

INR Score - Where do I find it?

Mojo66
Mojo66  

My husband is newly diagnosed with cirrhosis. He is an alcoholic and is still drinking, though he is trying to 'wean' himself. Due to some urgent symptoms, the doc ordered blood work and referred my husband to a surgeon for an endoscopy. He doesn't see his primary again for two weeks. I have the blood work results in front of me. I am trying to figure out how bad this is, but I need the INR score to plug into the online calculator for the CPT. Do any of you know if that is disguised somewhere on his blood work? If not, can I figure out how bad this without the INR?

09/27/2013 05:36 PM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

INR is not always ordered. Without it you cannot get MELD. Platelets are important. As well as creatinine and bilirubin

09/27/2013 05:42 PM
Mojo66
Mojo66  

Bilirubin is high, 3.6

Creatinine is fine, 0.7

Platelets are low, 69

Thanks for the response!

Post edited by: Mojo66, at: 09/27/2013 05:43 PM

09/27/2013 06:27 PM
kbostonia

sorry you are having this problem

i know alot of times the INR is not ordered on my bloodwork

my bilirubin was 1.9 on my last set of labs, creatinine 0.60 and INR 1.3 and my meld is 12

hope that helps some, my platelets were 50 on last one also

hope you get some answers

09/27/2013 06:35 PM
Mojo66
Mojo66  

Thank you. I'm not sure I know what any of this means yet.

09/27/2013 06:59 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

INR is kind of an "inverse" PT, not actually but higher PT usually means lower INR. They used to do it by scratching you and timing how long it takes to clot. There is actually a little device, kind of like a glucose meter that can measure it in a few seconds. They use this to monitor people on coumadin. However, no one will test it without a Dr.s orders - -go figure. You will have to ask your doc to include it on the next set of labs.

09/28/2013 06:22 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Mojo66!

Welcome to the group! I remembered a discussion that I started almost 3 years ago about MELD and its meaning. http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/cirrhosis-discussions/ general-support/2054908-meld-scores At the time we were not really understanding what MELD means so we had a really good discourse on the subject. You might want to check out the discussion.

Also, if you are looking for more detail on cirrhosis you might want to look at our group's website http://MySickLiver.weebly.com.

09/28/2013 07:05 AM
Mojo66
Mojo66  

Thanks ALL! I spend every free minute reading everything I can and my brain is starting to hurt. Smile But now I am going to read the links you provided. I truly appreciate the guidance.

09/28/2013 09:07 AM
booky1961
booky1961  

Hello Mojo66;

First off Welcome Aboard, you are in the right place for support.

Doctors tell you only so much and they don't expect you to understand but when you are on here long enough you can have some fun shocking the doctors with your questions they don't expect you to even know to ask! Your knowledge and education on this is what will help and it's fun shocking the docs!

I would invite you to join the Caregivers Group as well to vent, scream, gripe whatever as there are others from other groups who may be experiencing what you are and can help as well.

All the Groups I've been to on here have the greatest support and the people are wonderful! This site to me is one big HUG! Smile

We were told only when he got to the Transplant Center that to not pay too much attention to the numbers. That shocked us. I say start a chart/table - keep track of the blood work...keep copies of all the labs and notes. Start a binder to keep that in. If you have a computer and have excel plug in the numbers as you get them and you will see any changes and you can ask the doctor about them. I don't plug them anymore since his transplant but I do ask, still, about any differences.

You sound like you are on the right track. The big thing, your Honey needs to quit drinking all together. No alcohol at all! It will hinder his feeling better.

I'm not a medical person at all but if my husband had listened all those years ago to stop maybe he wouldn't have almost died or even needed a transplant. He's one of the lucky ones who got a second chance.

Blessings to you and your family..........

09/28/2013 04:38 PM
marable

Group Leader

Hi Mojo66,

The pt/inr is usually found under "coagulation studies" if the different labs are separated.

Ask the doctor about doing a pt/inr. Just FYI, The blood for this is collected in a blue topped tube and a specified amount has to be collected or it will have to be collected again. UGH!!!

Take care.

Vivian

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved