MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/05/2013 05:43 PM

My Cat Scan Results

DollyDimples
DollyDimplesPosts: 277

MY CT CONTRAST RESULT help anyone?? I'm worried about the word "masses" and the non specific interstitial pneumonitis...fibrotic.

Is a mass a tumor? Of course, they posted this at 6 pm and the offices are closed. Looks like my rheum arth and crummy immune system is doing a number on me.

Thanks for any help..Paula

* *Final Report* * *

PROCEDURE REASON: Cirrhosis of liver

HISTORY: Esophageal varices and thrombocytopenia.

hepatic portal venous phase imaging of the abdomen IV contrast only.

Hepatic morphology and masses: Morphologic changes of early cirrhosis.

This is a 1.8 x 2.0 cm cyst in the left hepatic dome (series 5 image

15). A few additional subcentimeter low attenuation lesions which are too

small to characterize are noted in the liver (for example series 5 image

24 and 29 and 40).

Hepatic vasculature and collaterals:

Portal venous system - There is no thrombus in the portal venous system

(splenic vein, main portal vein, left and right anterior and right

posterior portal vein branches.

Portal vein diameter - 1.2 cm.

Celiac trunk and SMA - No stenosis.

Hepatic artery - The hepatic artery is patent. There is an accessory

left hepatic artery arising from the left gastric.

Hepatic veins - The hepatic veins are patent.

Collaterals: There is no spontaneous splenorenal shunt. There are no

large mesenteric portosystemic collaterals. There is no recanalization of

the paraumbilical vein. There are small esophageal varices.

Related extrahepatic findings (i.e. ascites, splenomegaly):

Spleen - The spleen measures 12 cm in length, normal. There are

no focal splenic masses.

Ascites - There is no ascites.

Biliary system and pancreas: There is no intrahepatic or extrahepatic

biliary dilatation. The gallbladder is normal. There are no pancreatic

masses or pancreatic ductal dilation.

Kidneys: There is a cortical scar in the upper pole of the left kidney

with a 1 cm focus of dystrophic calcification. The inferior half of the

left kidney is atrophic. Fused supernumerary right kidney (rare

congenital anomaly) is noted.

Adrenal glands: The adrenal glands are normal.

Bones: degenerative changes without destructive lesion.

Lung bases: There is honey combing with sparing of the costophrenic

angles.

IMPRESSION:

MORPHOLOGIC CHANGES OF EARLY CIRRHOSIS. SMALL ESOPHAGEAL VARICES.

HONEY COMBING WITH SPARING OF THE COSTOPHRENIC ANGLES, LIKELY FIBROTIC

NONSPECIFIC INTERSTITIAL PNEUMONITIS GIVEN HISTORY OF SJOGREN'S.

DEDICATED CHEST IMAGING IS RECOMMENDED.

Post edited by: DollyDimples, at: 04/05/2013 07:04 PM

04/05/2013 05:46 PM
DollyDimples

Sorry about the extra info at the end of the results. I didnt delete it all and thought I did. Paula

04/05/2013 05:56 PM
DollyDimples

RESENDING:

MY CT CONTRAST RESULT help anyone?? I'm worried about the word "masses" and the non specific interstitial pneumonitis...fibrotic.

Is a mass a tumor? Of course, they posted this at 6 pm and the offices are closed. Looks like my rheum arth and crummy immune system is doing a number on me.

Thanks for any help..Paula

* *Final Report* * *

PROCEDURE REASON: Cirrhosis of liver

HISTORY: Esophageal varices and thrombocytopenia.

hepatic portal venous phase imaging of the abdomen IV contrast only.

Hepatic morphology and masses: Morphologic changes of early cirrhosis.

This is a 1.8 x 2.0 cm cyst in the left hepatic dome (series 5 image 15). A few additional subcentimeter low attenuation lesions which are too small to characterize are noted in the liver (for example series 5 image 24 and 29 and 40).

Hepatic vasculature and collaterals:

Portal venous system - There is no thrombus in the portal venous system (splenic vein, main portal vein, left and right anterior and right posterior portal vein branches.

Portal vein diameter - 1.2 cm.

Celiac trunk and SMA - No stenosis.

Hepatic artery - The hepatic artery is patent. There is an accessory left hepatic artery arising from the left gastric.

Hepatic veins - The hepatic veins are patent.

Collaterals: There is no spontaneous splenorenal shunt. There are no

large mesenteric portosystemic collaterals. There is no recanalization of the paraumbilical vein. There are small esophageal varices.

Related extrahepatic findings (i.e. ascites, slenomegaly):

Spleen - The spleen measures 12 cm in length, normal. There are no focal splenic masses.

Ascites - There is no ascites.

Biliary system and pancreas: There is no intrahepatic or extrahepatic biliary dilatation. The gallbladder is normal. There are no pancreatic masses or pancreatic ductal dilation.

Kidneys: There is a cortical scar in the upper pole of the left kidney with a 1 cm focus of dystrophic calcification. The inferior half of the left kidney is atrophic. Fused supernumerary right kidney (rare ngenital anomaly) is noted.

Adrenal glands: The adrenal glands are normal.

Bones: degenerative changes without destructive lesion.

Lung bases: There is honey combing with sparing of the costophrenic angles.

IMPRESSION:

MORPHOLOGIC CHANGES OF EARLY CIRRHOSIS. SMALL ESOPHAGEAL VARICES.

HONEY COMBING WITH SPARING OF THE COSTOPHRENIC ANGLES, LIKELY FIBROTIC

NONSPECIFIC INTERSTITIAL PNEUMONITIS GIVEN HISTORY OF SJOGREN'S.

DEDICATED CHEST IMAGING IS RECOMMENDED.

04/05/2013 08:33 PM
marable

Group Leader

Hi Paula,

I read your report twice and I did not see where it was mentioned that you have any masses.I think what you are referring to is the notation,Hepatic morphology and masses: This does not mean that you have masses. You do have a cyst in the liver and some small lesions (areas) that are too small to make a determination as to what they are. They will watch these on further scans for changes.

interstital pneumonitis is inflammation of the fluid surrounding the lungs and fibrosis(scarring, scar tissue) the radiologist mentions this in connection with your history of Sjogrens and reccomends further imaging of your chest. He used the word "non specific interstitual pneumonitis"he is suggesting that this is probably because of your Sjogrens history.

You have a kidney stone in the left kidney.

you have early cirrhosis and small esophageal varices. Your hepatic artery and veins are open. you have not developed any collateral circulation due to the portal hypertension(collateral circulation is when the body senses inadequate blood flow to an area and will develop more veins that branch off of the main vein in order to perfuse(nourish with blood) the deprived area.

you have an accessory hepatic artery, this just means an extra hepatic artery.

your spleen is not enlarged , no ascites (fluid in the belly)

no pancreas masses

It looks like you have a rare deformity of the right kidney, a stone in the left kidney and he states some atrophy (shrinkage) of the front part of the left kidney

In the radiologists impression he is just recommending followup chest imaging. He apparently did not think the small liver lesions ,some atrophy of the left kidney and the congenital deformity of the right kidney warranted further workup. If any of those things concerned him he would have made recommendations pertaining to them.

All in all I don't think there is a lot to be concerned with here.

As far as your kidneys, one of mine had some shrinkage the other one had an additional ureter attached to it. I think abnormalities of the kidneys and ureters are fairly common.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I will try to help.

Take care.

Vivian

04/06/2013 06:11 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Great analysis Vivian!

04/06/2013 06:22 AM
DollyDimples

Thank you...I am so concerned about the honey comb lung disease.....I've read when it honey combs, it is end stage. so now will be making an appt with a pulmonologist and biopsies of the lungs. does it ever end?

I never thought I would be worrying my lungs on top of everything else.

Thanks Vivian...

I think the word masses had me freaked out. I hope they are benign or dont grow..though seems like everytime I get the new ultrasound, there are more cysts, spots ow whatever.

04/06/2013 08:32 AM
iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

Dolly it is not uncommon for people to have cysts in there liver that is a very normal event. Like Vivian says they will watch for any changes however your CT looks pretty good. Hope your lung eval goes the same.

Cheryl Smile

Post edited by: iwiham1027, at: 04/06/2013 08:33 AM

04/06/2013 08:42 AM
DollyDimples

Thank you all.....

I guess the word masses had me worried.

I hope the lung issue can be taken care of. This is new to me. Like the liver issue, I had no idea I had any lung problems. I had constant throat clearning and when I would bring it up to my drs..gastro and pcpc..the prilosec will help that..its from the hernia.... the rheumy listens to my lungs all the time as does the pcp and never mentioned fluid or crackles. Saw an ENT and he gave me sinus spray. No allergies.

Guess I am going to heck in a handbasket. Autoimmune issues...bah!!

Thanks all...great information!!~

I was at a loss since they sent the results electronically at 6 pm and no one was in the office.

Hugs..Paula

04/06/2013 10:29 AM
marable

Group Leader

Paula,

I cannot believe that the honeycombing is indicative of end stage pulmonary disease for you. You said you had no idea you had anything wrong with your lungs. Are you experiencing dyspnea(shortness of breath) at rest or with exertion? I truly believe if you had end stage lung disease you would be having major breathing issues. See a pulmonologist, when you see one they will do tests on your lungs that will tell them how bad the fibrosis is. You will probably be hooked up to a computer with a tube attached that you blow into until your eyes bug out. You can do it easily I am sure of it.

Hoping and praying nothing is seriously wrong with your lungs.

HUGS,HUGS!

Vivian

04/06/2013 10:37 AM
DollyDimples

Thank you Vivian...you're a Godsend on the forums.

The only think I knew was I had constant throat clearing which my dr told me was the dryness caused by sjogrens disease.

I'm calling a pulmonologist next week. I can blow till my eyse pop but will probably choke. I dont get shortness of breath unless I am bending over and cleaning but walking doesnt bother me.

Thank you Vivian!! HUgs back at you! Paula

Se...I ALMOST forgot I have cirrhosis. NOT!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved