MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/28/2009 02:18 PM

Shunt in spinal cord

missamelie

hello all,

does anyone out there have a shunt in their spinal cord??? I have a tumor/mass that was removed (about 80%) of it three years ago, but they inserted a small shunt into my spinal cord to avoid excess buildup of the cerebral spinal fluid. I was just wondering if anyone else has this & what their experiences have been??

As for me, I have chronic pain...this could be due to the laminectomy, cutting of muscles, bones, joints, etc...or from the mass or I am starting to wonder if the shunt could cause pain?

any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated. HelpErmm

05/28/2009 09:25 PM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

This all sounds very painfull. I haven't had experience with anything like this. I hope someone can give you some help.

Kardie

06/18/2011 03:49 PM
Cinsublime

I have a shunt in my spinal cird at C7..What symptoms do you have? Complications? I'm in constant pain too.

Cynthia

06/19/2011 09:17 PM
missamelie

Hi cynthia,

this is amy. i replied to another post I believe. if i may ask, how long have you had your shunt at C7? mine has been almost five years at T12 & i live with horrific pain also. i am so sorry as i know how horrible the pain is. i never thought such a pain could exist. what do your doc/surgeons say regarding the shunt?? please keep me updated & i will be thinking of you & praying. Blessings Smile

10/14/2011 01:41 PM
randytommoss

Hi,

I had also have a shunt in my spinal cord, T3-T4. I have been experiencing sharp pains and at times lingering numbness down my right shoulder. After a full spine MRI, I was told my shunt has failed, and I will be having surgery to fix it. However infrequent, I was told that shunts do fail at times, causing a build up of fluid/pressure in the spinal cord. Have you had your shunt checked recently?

01/11/2012 05:30 PM
john1111

hi there, i also had a tumor removed a while back,I was doing well.In 2007 Iwas involved in a car accident which sent me down hill. Last October I had a shunt put in my spine to drain fluid to my chest area. My leg felt better but pain is extreme in my back and head aches are becoming unbearable. My leg shakes alot even in my sleep.

Hopefully things get better, good luck everyone

05/18/2012 01:21 PM
Cinsublime

How have you been feeling?

05/20/2012 05:09 PM
slada
slada  

Sorry guys to hear about having tumor,it must be very hard....I have chronic pain for long time so I can understood you pain and I wish I can help you all,so I want to send you many hugs from CanadaKissing Kissing

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved