MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/25/2011 09:46 AM

It just keeps getting worse(page 2)

Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

I had around 40 cartons or ''after this pack'' so I know exactly what you're going through. It's much easier to have more motivation when the pack is full and when you're nearing the end of the pack, it becomes more real and really scary. You have this coming up and that going on and it just doesn't seem like the right time to quit. The thing is that I never found a right time to quit. There's always something going on even as a sick person who doesn't do much. I have this dr's appointment and if I get bad news, I will need a smoke to decompress and.. Trust me. I can still to this day think of times when I would have a smoke. It would not surprise me that they have MAOI's in cigarettes. What I can tell you is that when I quit, I felt like crap. I was sweating like crazy, I felt nauseated and my lungs hurt like hell (coughing up gross stuff). That didn't last too too long but the mental aspect of it was the worse. Especially after eating. Man was it rough. I'm not saying that to discourage you. I'm just saying it so you're mentally ready when you do it. The physical cravings go away fairly quickly but the mental cravings are what you need to watch for. Even a year after, there are times when I tell myself for .5 seconds ok i just finished this or finished eating, time for a smoke. Then I realize oh crap I don't smoke anymore. I seriously think it will be within me for life at this point. I don't regret quitting however. I'm saving a lot of money (which is scarce since I got sick) and I don't have a cold every 3 months. I also know that I'm helping my body that's sick enough as it is without needing some crappy lung cancer. Like Vegwell said, there are e-cig and many other ways to help you quit. I heard that the e-cig works well but for me the action of bringing my hand to my mouth and puff on the cigarette was the toughest mental aspect to get rid of. I didn't want to go from one addiction to another (yes the e-cig would of been a better addiction out of the two since it's much much safer). That was the worse part. The oral fixation seems to be the toughest part to quit for most smokers. I used regular gum along with the patch and the nicotine gum. It's not some miracle but when I wanted to just run out the door and buy a pack because I was suffering, it kept me going. Best of luck and we're all here if you need to talk.

08/25/2011 01:59 PM
Antikoerper
Antikoerper  

I tried the E-Cig. It presented MAJOR problems for me because of its ease. Like with a real cig, you have to go outside (at least where I live) to smoke and all that, but with the E-cig, I could smoke in the house... The only problem was, I didnt smoke it like a real cig, I would constantly take drags off of it every few minutes. But I did get that next pack... however I am doing well at limiting myself to five cigs a day. About the MAOI content, I wish they would do more smoking cecession research about coming off of MAOIs and nicotine, seeing as how nicotine is not the only chemical your body gets used to in smoke. But I will def. keep trying to stop. there was a light of hope when my new doctor told me that the fact that I take Glucosamine/chondroiten/MSM complex, that it has been shown to slow or stop (in some cases) the progression of DDD. So I just have to keep up with that for now. Because right now I have more important things to worry about that quitting smoking. Oh yea. Sad

08/25/2011 03:51 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

I tried E-Cigs...I thought they sucked.Ughhh! I want the real thing. I am telling myself this is the last day of smoking.

08/25/2011 05:04 PM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Good luck on your quit, Bangbang. It's not easy but it's doable! You will feel better afterwards. Trust me I'm not one of those ex smokers that's like ''Cigarette smoke is gross it smells so bad''. I still love the smell of it. I would love to smoke still. I just quit because I felt like there was enough bad going on with my body already. Your body/lungs do feel better after a while. At first it sucked even more for me because my lungs felt like they hurt more than they ever did when I was smoking. I guess the process of them cleansing themselves is a bit painful. I smoked a lot so I don't know if everyone will experience that.

Jeff: Ya don't stress too much. You do it when you feel like you're ready or you will fail. You really have to be mentally prepared for it.

08/25/2011 06:02 PM
Antikoerper
Antikoerper  

A problem I have is that I like love the smell and feeling of smoking as well. like, I love just being around someone else who is smoking. (I know some people thing that is sick) haha. but yea, I am going to try to cut back and see how it goes, while adding suppliments to my diet. I plan to order more Kratom which is proven effective in pain relief (at least from my vendor), I also plan to order Kanna extract to help get off of my prozac and finally get fully off my xanax. I really like Kratom, but its hard to find a good vendor that is honest and in expensive. even then an order can vary from order to order even from the same vendor. But yea, I do enjoy Kratom, it seems to be able to replace my vyvanse because it helps me focus, and it seems to help me take less of my oxycodone because of its pain relief properties at higher doses. If you want anymore info on Kratom email me. Jgouldx@gmail.com

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved