MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/16/2008 01:28 AM

Drug Medication Interactions...

fibroforever
fibroforever  
Group Leader

If you are ever wondering about you medications and whether they go together- there are a couple of things you need to do.

1) contact your doctor and/or pharmacy.

2) if you don't feel comfortable in doing so, check out this website that I found. It has an easy process for you to put in the meds you're taking, and then it will show if there are any interactions. If so, it will show why and to what severety.

3) contact your doctor and/or pharmacy.

Your doctor and/or pharmacists may tell you that your meds need changed due to an interaction. Sometimes though- they will tell you that they are okay to take together. And that's okay. I feel they would only tell you that because of their knowledge of things we're not aware of. So, trust their judgement and do what they say. Don't be mad at yourself for checking into it though. You have to take care of YOU!

Okay, here's the website with a few easy instructions for ya:

www.drugdigest.com and then select 'Drug Interactions'. From there, find your medication in the left box and move it to the right box. You will see that if you accidently select the wrong drug, that you can put it back. Once you've done this, select 'Check Interactions'. The next screen will show you what drugs you selected, the interactions, and why they are interacting, and then rates the severity.

I think this website is awesome!

fibroforever

10/22/2008 09:27 AM
chronicpain

Or, you could:

A: Read the information sheet that comes with your prescription.

B: Get a copy of "The PDR Pocket Guide to Prescription Drugs". Everyone should have a copy of this book in their home medical libraries anyway.

11/06/2008 07:55 AM
Mowgli

Smile I do agree with most everything in this post. I don't feel we should have blind faith in our doctors nor our pharmacists. We do have to be pro-active. "To err is human", isn't that the quote?

If one suspects a drug side effect or interaction they should contact their doctor and pharmacy, no doubt. Just remember how we all respond to varying drugs differently. It may appear perfectly safe to take 2 drugs together on paper but our individual bodies may think differently.

Mowgli

11/06/2008 08:37 PM
Starr
Starr  

I always double-check with my pharmacist when one of my doctors prescribes something new. Just seems wise.

11/26/2008 06:15 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
Group Leader

We have quite a few new members. So, I felt it was a good time to move this post towards the front again.

If you have any questions and/or concerns about your medications and if they interact with one another- check out the first page of this posting (hope that makes sense)... I've given ya ways to check them out.

03/18/2010 06:12 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Thaks a million. Just went through it.So they pull pain meds...now I am at ground zero

03/18/2010 06:14 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

I alsojust started coumidin ( blood thinner) I have factorVLiden (sp?) had my first clots in lungs. I am scared to death.

01/23/2011 05:46 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
Group Leader

If you are ever wondering about you medications and whether they go together- there are a couple of things you need to do.

1) contact your doctor and/or pharmacy.

2) if you don't feel comfortable in doing so, check out this website that I found. It has an easy process for you to put in the meds you're taking, and then it will show if there are any interactions. If so, it will show why and to what severity.

3) contact your doctor and/or pharmacy.

Your doctor and/or pharmacists may tell you that your meds need changed due to an interaction. Sometimes though- they will tell you that they are okay to take together. And that's okay. I feel they would only tell you that because of their knowledge of things we're not aware of. So, trust their judgment and do what they say. Don't be mad at yourself for checking into it though. You have to take care of YOU!

Okay, here's the website with a few easy instructions for ya:

www.drugdigest.com

and then select 'Drug Interactions'. From there, find your medication in the left box and move it to the right box. You will see that if you accidentally select the wrong drug, that you can put it back. Once you've done this, select 'Check Interactions'. The next screen will show you what drugs you selected, the interactions, and why they are interacting, and then rates the severity.

I think this website is awesome!

fibroforever

01/25/2011 03:58 PM
Leigha
Leigha  

My internist just prescribed 2 new drugs for me. I always check them first for interactions, but as these were related to other drugs I was taking did not feel the need. Perhaps, like many of you, I take many prescription meds and joke that I've got a ph.d in pill management. Well, the pharmacist called me because these 2 new drugs have a very dangerous interaction! I don't blame my internist, she is human and there is no way any doctor can keep on top of these things with so many drugs out there. Bottom line, I am the responsible one. Thank goodness my pharmacist was on the ball or I might have missed this one.

Have bookmarked the new site you offered; it beats the site I have. Thanks!

Leigha

____________________________________________________________ "I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." ~Abraham Lincoln

01/25/2011 05:38 PM
debhurts
debhurts  

hi, gosh i am so glad the pharmacist called you, and that he was on the ball, thank God for that, i love the phamacists they are so up on things, i am greatful for you not taking those meds who knows what could have happened, love debi.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved