MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/23/2010 08:02 PM

after pain...exhaustion

Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi

When I have a fibro flare up. I take my tylenol and it eases the pain. Afterwards I get sooooo fatigued that I am useless the next day. Anyone else experience this?

06/24/2010 10:28 AM
gz55

absolutely! the day after a bad migraine, i always say that i have a "migraine hangover". weak, tired, just plain pooped! the same goes for a bad pain day. it seems the pain wreaks havoc on our entire system. physically, mentally, emotionally,.....it's like we have to recuperate from the trauma our body went through. i must say that i'll take the recuperating phase over the pain phase any day! hope you're having an easy day today.

06/24/2010 10:51 AM
ladyjane

Just like gz55 said I also after having the pain get so bad it really does wear me out both mentally and physically I feel drained.

06/24/2010 12:55 PM
jrauls
jrauls  

Pain just takes a lot of energy and we have to recharge after a big flare... I don't know if I should call mine flares because I don't have fibromyalgia and have only had 3 migraines in my life but "Flare" is a good description.

Jen

06/25/2010 02:31 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Although, I have a few health issues that still cause pain, I have been in remission from RA for 3 months. RA was the worst pain for me and rarely let up. I have given alot of thought to why I was so sick with flu-like symptoms and so overwhelmed with fatigue. Of course, these are symptoms of RA but still, I wondered if something could be making them worse.

I have come to the conclusion that uncontrolled mod-severe pain certainly affects the energy level. I believe what happens is the body is using all it's resources (energy) in a concentrated effort to fight the pain causing the rest of the body, mind, emotions, and all senses suffer. Rather than energy being spread out to accommadate the body as a whole, it is not possible. The body is set up to zero in on 'the problem". I think there would be no problem IF the pain is not on-going or chronic.

Now, I also believe if there is adequate pain control that the body's defenses are not so concentrated therefore energy is more evenly distributed. Thus...less fatigue.

Of course these are only my thoughts.

06/25/2010 03:04 PM
gz55

amen to your thoughts, bits. it makes a lot of sense. chronic pain overrides everything else.

06/25/2010 04:56 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I know before my RA pain was somewhat controlled I had terrible memory lapses. I mean blackout periods. I saw a neuro who tested me and arrived at the dx that uncontrolled pain was causing these episodes.

I laughed at that dx. However, once pain became "somewhat" controlled I never had another blackout memory loss or many moments of forgetfullness.

I never did recover the memories I lost but have excellent recall now.

BTW, when I say black-out periods I am talking about being fully awake and not recalling what I did such as watching an entire movie. Absolutly no memory of seeing it.

06/25/2010 06:33 PM
gz55

i always say that i was "semi-comatose" the years before i was diagnosed, when the pain was so overwhelming i could barely function. i can understand how you could have memory loss or black-out periods. i'm so glad your pain is now somewhat controlled and that you are in remission. what a blessing!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved