MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/16/2010 07:46 PM

Fibromyalgia & Skin Sensitivity

jennjenn78

About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with a host of chronic pain issues dealing with my back. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism, ADD and fibromyalgia. For the past 2 days I have been having a terrible time with skin pain and sensitivity on my forearms and the outer (distal) parts of my hand to about my ring finger. I woke up yesterday with my arms and hands throbbing and so sensitive that I could barely touch them. Today it hasn't gotten much better, and even with pain meds it is still very painful and sensitive.

This same sensitive, throbbing and painful sensation started in my teen years for about the first 3 days of my period on my entire female area. About 7 years ago I had a partial hysterectomy, taking my uterus but leaving my ovaries. Even with the hysterectomy I still have this sensation, but it's only happens about every 3-4 months and usually lasts for the same 3 day span.

Starting about 5 years ago these sensations spread to my butt cheeks. It would be so bad that I could not sit on a toilet seat because of the sensitivity. I guess about 4 years ago these sensations started spreading to my legs, mainly the backs of them and my inner thighs. The longest that they would last is for about 5 or 6 days. Now it has spread to my arms and hands and it seems more painful and sensitive than all of the other instances.

Are all of these "outbreaks" related to my fibromyalgia? If so how can I prevent it or/and make it better? If it is not related to my fibromyalgia, does anyone know what could be causing these problems?

Thank you so much for your help!

Jenn

Sad

05/17/2010 08:22 AM
mem8449

I don't know the official name for this sensations but I get them too. With me it's some patches of the skin feel sort of like they were burned with something very hot, they're sensitive to the slightest touch and also last for about few days sometimes up to 2 weeks or so. I noticed that I usually get them in very stressfull times and I've actually talked to some people who also get them, also during the times of high stress. I talked to 2 very professional doctors about them and they told me it's indeed due to stress and nervous system getting out of order. Also, sometimes viruses cause this, but I think in our case it's all stress due to our illnesses and chronic pain which is always stressfull. Hope this helps at least a bit.

05/17/2010 12:14 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

have you been checked out by a neurologist concerning this? I would think i may also be something related to that? or at least if it is fibro(which recent research suggests is a central nervous system disorder) a nerologist may be able to give you some relief with meds.

05/17/2010 12:57 PM
ladyjane

I agree with tntmom maybe its time to see a neurologist.

sorry Jenn this happening to you the outbreaks sound terrible I hope you get some answers and some meds to treat this.

05/17/2010 10:47 PM
mollymae
mollymae  

I also have this to happen from time to time it hurts soooo bad! i am glad to see that i am not the only one who has this going on,although I wish nobody had to feel this pain!!! the rest that goes with Fibro sucks pretty bad but this is one of the worst things for me to deal with as I have 2 small children that love to cuddle at bed time and when mommy cant they dont understand.. its all so very hard to deal with...hope someone or something will help if you get any answers or help with this let me know plz..

05/18/2010 03:20 PM
ArmyCM
ArmyCM  

I have had this issues for about 5 years now. It started with my right leg and worked its ways to my left, then my arms, now my body. The opposite of you. But, I have gone to see a neurologist and they said I had peripheral neuropathy. That is just a fancy name for numbness and tinging and burning pain in the extremities. When it worked its way to my core, I knew it wasn't peripheral neuropathy and that is when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Still, I would suggest you see a neurologist. They can do an EMG (Electromyelogram) to make sure the nerves are working right. It doesn't hurt and from that the doctor can tell what you might have like carpal tunnel syndrome if it was only in an arm, etc. He/she can also tell how much, if any damage there is to that limb. The only thing that has helped me is to not use my arms much. Walking flares up my legs. I prop them up on pillows at night and baby my arms and legs if I have to. I have gel arm rests at work. Some times I can barely rest my arms on anything. Often, even clothes hurt when the fabric moves over the skin. Lyrica and Cymbalta do help. I hope the helps you some! Good luck and God bless! LoriCool

05/19/2010 05:17 PM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

Jenn,

Welcome to the group. As you have already seen this is a very good support group. We all care about one another and want to help if we can even if it might only be to listen. Take Cre!

I look forward to getting to know you.

Kardie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved