MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/30/2011 01:34 PM

new to group

Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

I was raised by parents who both had mental illness. Major depression.

I remember nothing of my toddler to mid elementary school age. I do know that from 3rd grade( that's when Dad had a sever reaction to shock treatments. It devistated me) on I had depression myself, which turned into Major depression/ ocd/ anxiety/ panic.

My confusion ( with my behavior) is this: I have a Fobic fear of angry people and even worse is if I hear a report on child abuse. The two issues have sent me into anxiety attacks. counselors have said I sound like I was sexually abused ( I also have a distrust of men and marriage). I have never been able to recall any abuse like that. I am 61 and have had a lot of therapy but am now ready to figgure this one out.

Any comments or insights you may have would be appreciated

12/30/2011 09:14 PM
Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

I do say you sound like you were an abused child, we all have fear of angry people...and i'm really glad your here. if I can help in any way, please let me know.

01/08/2012 12:43 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Welcome Ginag, many people do not realize how long it takes to learn how to truly cope with being abused as a child. I recently got some of my records from when I was a child put into a group home to protect me from my step father's abuse. I guess they didn't realize how neglected I was as both parents were at the least drunks.

I found out that my mom had been in and out of hospitals and was prescribed tranquilizers and that my step dad had spent some time in jail for putting a hooker's mattress on fire. I think any one who abuses a child is mentally ill.

The thing that surprised me the most is that apparently I said I was very close to both my parents and constantly wanted to either go home or to a foster home. I have no recollection of that at all. So not being able to remember is quiet common from what I hear and have experienced.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved