MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2009 04:08 PM

Hi there

celiacboy202008

My name is Bryan, I'm 20 and I was diagnosed 4 years ago. It's been a drastic difference what with no pizza and no cakes...I miss those things and unfortunately have not yet been able to stop cheating my diet. I know it's bad for my health, but the effects aren't showing themselves yet...I'm worried though so I have been sticking to my diet more regularly these days. hopefully I'm not the only youngin going through this change and hard times. Smile

Post edited by: celiacboy202008, at: 03/05/2009 13:17

01/08/2009 04:17 PM
chocolatemonster
chocolatemonster  

hey there- i'm almost sixteen and i've been on this diet for almost a year now after half a year suffering at home terribly... i think there is something called the silent celiac: it's when your body reacts to the wheat, but you do not feel it. this is not necesarily a very good thing, because you do not realize how much it hurts you, since there is no pain. and no, you are not the only youngin going through this Smile

good luck!

chocolatemonster

01/09/2009 05:28 AM
Kerry

hi

I am a lot older than both of you and can assure you still, it is not easy to stick to no gluten at all. Everywhere you go there are filled sandwiches and pastries, cooked meals that most shop bought/ready made have gluten, even gravy and oil chips are cooked in. I have been doing this for almost a year and still give in to temptation 2 or 3 times a week.

People seem to have different symptoms from gluten but at the end of the day there are a group of symptoms and if we eat gluten we suffer the consequences. No one except other sufferers seem sympathetic with the diet etc so it is down to us, either we live a trouble free life or we don't.

On the good side are the amount of goods that do not contain gluten, most of which involve home cooking and for lads of your ages that must be really difficult, I can give you plenty of nice recipe ideas but are you able to shop and cook for yourselves?

Good luck

Kerry

01/10/2009 03:10 PM
chocolatemonster
chocolatemonster  

i cook a lot, when i am home. the strange thing is, i have never experienced the temptation to 'cheat my diet' because the pain is just so terrible when i eat even a crumb, that it's just not worth it. i stopped gluten the day i came out of my endoscopy, on Feb 9th. but i can sympathize completely with the pain and axiousness of having to watch everything we eat.

good luck,

chocolatemonster

04/06/2009 05:47 PM
hmc7290
hmc7290Posts: 9

No Your not! I'm 18 and am trying to find more people around my age dealing with celiac!! I was recently diagnosed in December and have been Gluten free since January.

04/07/2009 02:23 PM
greengem
greengem  

The thing that you must worry about when you cheat is that it may not be causing you pain, but it is causing you problems with your intestines. I know that my dad cheats alot, but he doesnot have any problems with it. my son can not cheat becasue of the pain and the diarrhea that he can not control. so you need to stick to it as close as you can. my dad can not gain wt and the doc says that is because he cheats at the diet. my son has not had any gluten since the day that he was diagnosed except when the doc wanted to do some additional testing and he had to eat gluten for 4 days before the test. he is 18 tomorrow and has been diagnosed since he was 14.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved