MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/03/2010 07:54 AM

Another Update! - Vitamin D

LaurieK
LaurieK  

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've been able to join you. Have had some things going on and wanted to pass the word... I had this chest cold that I couldn't get rid of. Trouble breathing, chest burning, got strangled everytime I talked for more than a couple of minutes. My energy level was nill. Ended up in the ER where they put me on antibiotics and other typical stuff for this type of thing. Then, two weeks later... I was still sick, no better. So, I went to a new dr. recommended by a friend. He gave me a shot and said he wanted to check some blood levels. At this point I didn't care anymore. I was barely eating and still couldn't breathe. Turns out, my Vitamin D level was almost at 0! Dr. said he didn't know how I had been functioning let alone working. So, I'm on "Vitamin D therapy." It's no cake walk but I'm beginning to feel more human again. It's a process to get it back up to somewhat normal level. But apparently all the symptoms I've been having are contributed to the lack of Vitamin D.... joint pain, muscle cramps, insomnia, irregular heart rate, extreme fatigue.

So, we'll see how it goes. But I am feeling better. Just wanted yall to know I'm still kicking!

Hope all of you are well.

Laurie

04/03/2010 09:17 AM
LaMich

Laurie, you poor thing! And aren't you going to school on top of all this? I don't know how you've done it. It's so odd that you'd have a vitamin D deficiency, but it's great that they found it! Are you not absorbing it somehow? That's the one that our bodies make from sun exposure, right?

Is it possible that you've been getting glutened by something that you're eating? I've been having a problem with gluten free foods recently. I don't think they all meet the 20ppm minimal limit. And there are probably lots of them just like Wellshire Farms that found out about gluten contamination but didn't bother to recall their products. I know I keep dragging that one back out of the mud to discuss it...sorry. It just eats me up.

How are you feeling now, Laurie? Are you starting to get your strength back?

04/03/2010 06:38 PM
LaurieK
LaurieK  

I don't really know if I've been glutened or not. I've never been able to tolerate milk. I eat plenty of different kinds of cheeses. But no milk. But you would think that I'd be low in calcium also but my calcium levels are normal. So are my B vitamin levels and my potassium, which I originally thought would be low because I was having leg cramps. When I'm actually better, really better, I'm going to really do some digging.

The "Vitamin D Therapy" consists of a 50,000iud (not a misprint!) pill once per week for 4 weeks, then 3000 per day for two weeks. Then we'll check it again. I figure over the summer I'll try to figure it out. Last summer, I had to have a cyst removed from my breast. There was very little understanding of it... why it was there... why it was growing... but it was very scary... cancer drs. and all that. Apparently, it's linked somehow to the low vit. d levels. So, the one that's in the other breast, that's not growing like the first one did, hopefully will fix itself when I get my levels back to a semi-normal level. I've been reading about this huge link between women with breast cancer and low vitamin d levels. THey don't know why... just an apparent link.

So.... I'm glad you keep dragging up the Wellshire Farms business. I think it's rediculous that we not only have to watch everything we eat, but now we have to be suspicious of the people who say they are on our side. It all seems to be about money... maybe celiac and "gluten free" is the latest, greatest way to market a product. It's infuriating. Please... keep dragging it up. If I can help with a petition... complaint letter... anything of the sort, let me know.

Yes, I am also in graduate school. I did just pass my principal certification and I'm hoping to move into administration this coming year. Honestly, the thought of interviewing and all that is overwelming at the moment. But I'm just trying to do one day at a time. I have a family member in hospice care right now and it's a real balancing act at the moment... physically and emotionally.

Anyway, talk to you soon.

Laurie

04/05/2010 08:06 AM
feliciav
feliciav  

Hi Laurie,

I am also on high doses of vitamin D. 50K units twice a week and then if I feel ok I also take an extra 1K unit each day. Sometimes my stomach does NOT like it at all. I definitely can't do it on an empty stomach. Ouch!

Can you shed a little bit more light on the whole Vit. D and the link to the breast issue? That kinda freaked me out. I take the Vitamin D same as you and breast cancer does run on my mom's side of the family.

Thanks and I hope this message does find you well!

04/06/2010 06:17 PM
LaurieK
LaurieK  

Hi Missa,

I wish I were more informed on the breast cancer/vitamin d link. What I know is that when I got the news a couple of weeks ago, and got the prescription, I wanted to be sure about it. i just did some basic internet, webmd searches. Almost immediately, I found several articles linking the existence of breast cancer to women with a severe vitamin d deficit. None of the articles had an explanation... it's like they don't know why. They just have noted that women who turn up with breast cancer, a strangely high percentage of them have no vit d. My pharmacist actually sat with me for quite a while (I really like her) and she looked at my lab report. The first thing she said was that if I had known last year... no surgery. I'm sure you understand if you have breast cancer in your family... the stress of the cancer scare, the idea of possible or partial removal of our feminine mystique... it's all very heavy. So, I'm hopeful that this therapy will help.

Sorry I don't have more information. But I'll keep looking! Let us know if you find anything.

Laurie

04/06/2010 06:22 PM
LaurieK
LaurieK  

HEy Missa and Felicia... I'm getting myself mixed up. Anyway, that's interesting about the tanning bed. I've thought about that. But I burn in seconds. Hopefully, this therapy will work. I'm already feeling better I think. My stomach is definitely causing me problems. I've only taken 2 of the 50 K pills. So, I'm barely getting started. My B12 levels were fine but I don't know about my magnesium. I wonder about the joint pain... I was almost certain I had arthritis from a bad car accident that I had a few years ago. Based on what you said, I'm wondering if it's the D.

We'll see. Hopefully....

Laurie

04/06/2010 07:02 PM
LaMich

I've read that drinking sodas puts a lot of phosphate in our blood stream. Our blood stream has to have a balance of phosphate and calcium, so to rectify this imbalance, our body leaches calcium from our bones. It can cause weak bones, bone loss, osteoperosis... I wonder if that could be tied in with the vitamin D thing somehow? ? I just thought I'd throw out what I've heard.

Oh, I just remembered. When I was about 14 or 15, I had a cyst in my left breast. I had to have ultrasounds on it and see a lot of doctors. I do remember one saying that women who consume more caffeine (for me it was Mt. Dew!) often have more lumps in their breasts. That's all I can recall. It may not even be right.

04/08/2010 12:27 PM
feliciav
feliciav  

OMG LaMich! I used to LIVE off of Diet Mt. Dew! And back in my 20's I used to work at a hospital ER and the medics and EMT's were constantly bringing in coffee for us girls. I used to drink 11 large coffees a day! Now I drink decaf coffee. The caffeine tends to give me tummy troubles I think.

I've cut way way back on my soda intake.

And I did have a small breast problem last year. No lumps or cysts but every morning when I would get ready to shower I would take off my bra ( I sleep with it to clip my insulin pump to)there would be a clear drop of watery stuff on the nipple. No odor. No soreness. No real texture to it but it was thicker than water. They did all kinds of tests and found nothing. Thank God!

Thank you soooooo much for sharing all these tidbits about Vit. D and Calcium.

I think when I head home tonight I might stop and buy myself a nice little multi-vitamin.

Thanks again LaMich!

BTW- you're an awesome group leader! Smile

04/08/2010 04:13 PM
LaMich

I'm so glad that info was a help to you. I wasn't sure if it was really even related. In my teen years, we practically ONLY drank sodas all day and night. Now, I rarely drink any--once a week or so. Usually Friday night with pizza or over the weekend with another special meal. Making pizza takes three hours, btw--since I have to make the crust from scratch...Dizzy But I do love Mt. Dew. They have caffeine free Mt. Dew in Tennessee, if you can believe it. But here in Los Angeles, they don't sell it anywhere! Sad

04/09/2010 12:52 PM
feliciav
feliciav  

Caffeine Free Mountain Dew? You're kidding! I've never heard of such a thing. Wow!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved