MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/04/2010 06:21 AM

Night lights

harobed
harobed  

I'm having more difficulty driving at night. The lights - cars, signs, even traffic lights when I'm traveling on higher speed road - seem to be all I CAN see and makes me feel less confident in driving at night, which unfortunately I must do several days a week...

How have you dealt with this situation? I would like to hear responses for this problem!

H.

09/04/2010 08:09 PM
janney550

I am very nearsighted and even before my retinal detachment and cataract surgery, I've had problems for years driving at night, I'd say for at least 10 years by now. My eye doctor for all those years had no suggestion for me or terminology of what was wrong, and she told me that it was NOT night blindness.

It had gotten to the point about 4 years ago that I totally stopped driving at night as it's way too risky for me and the other drivers to have an accident.

Sorry I can't help you, but as you can tell, you are not alone with your problem! When you go to your eye doctor next, mention your concern. Good luck!

09/17/2010 06:10 PM
janney550

My most difficulties with driving are with glare. Even prior to sunset, when it gets glary out, even with my brand new glasses and clip on sunglasses, I can barely, if at all see, when the glare "blinds" me. I can only drive now, to be on the safe side, until about 5:30PM. I am considering having my side windows and rear windshield slightly tinted to help me as I turn my head as needed to check on traffic around me, particularly for lane changing and yielding.

09/26/2010 07:45 PM
harobed
harobed  

The night light glare is a such a difficult problem. I like the idea of the tinted windshield - let us know if that helps.

H.

04/16/2011 07:09 PM
janney550

This past week I had to get a laser treatment since my eye pressure in my left eye (the one with glaucoma) went up high. In about a month, I'll find out if it's gone down.

Then I also need to get another type of laser treatment to hopefully get rid of the blurriness I have developed since cataract surgery on the same eye back in August 2010.

I really hope both these treatments (surgeries) will work out well for me. I have a wonderful very well trained ophthalmologist who trained with Wills Eye and I trust him a lot, but I worry just the same.

The glare hurts both my eyes when I go shopping in the mall. Some of the stores use the brightest lights and they make it harder for me to figure out who is where around me. They are really hard on my eyes! Anyone else with this problem?

04/17/2011 05:56 PM
harobed
harobed  

I'm so sorry that you're having multiple eye problems! I can empathize on the lights hurting your eyes...I do have some discomfort with that.

I've been on steroid drops (inflammation of my right cornea) for the past month - can't tell it's helped much.

It's great to trust your doc! And I will be praying for you as you go thru these surgeries.

Any one else with this light/disorientation problem?

H.

04/23/2011 08:52 PM
janney550

Thank you Harobed for your kind reply and prayers! How nice of you!

07/23/2011 04:02 AM
Greytabby
Greytabby  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

i have light disorientation all the time....but i get migraines and that causes that....and menieres makes me lose my balance....so that messes me up...i cant drive because of it...

both of you are in my prayers...and well wishes...harobed please be careful driving....it would hurt my heart if you were hurt in an accident...

kat

08/30/2011 10:34 PM
Johndiv23

My grandpa has troubles when driving too, and nowadays he often takes the wrong turns, now my dad forbids him from driving. Maybe from the cataracts, are cataracts inherited? Both my grandpa and grandma has it so am i going to have it too when i age? Just wanted to know. Thanks in advance.

08/31/2011 06:04 PM
harobed
harobed  

John I believe there are both genetic conditions that can cause cataracts, but mostly I understand that cataracts are indiginous or nongenetic.

Grey - thanks for your concern - I can take all I can get! Smile

H.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved