MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/15/2009 04:44 PM

Surgery....Am I missing something?

naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Here's a question for all you carpal tunnelers who have had the surgery before, whether open or endoscopic, I don't think it matters. I've been looking up info on surgery and what they do, and I've noticed that they cut the transverse ligament to relieve pressure on the median nerve. Ok, great. But to they re-stitch the ligament back into place, does it heal back on its own, or do you just live out your life without a ligament there (and wouldn't that weaken the wrist joint?)? Hubby is curious about this as well!

08/15/2009 05:12 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry, I found the answer on my own. For anyone else who has NOT yet had the surgery, I recommend the following link:

http://carpal-tunnel.emedtv.com/carpal-tunnel-release--- open-video/open-carpal-tunnel-surgery.html

The husband and I both watched and it was very informative.

08/16/2009 06:51 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Whoa! That was totally cool, Naddya! Thanks for posting it!

BTW, as far as I'm concerned, ask to be knocked out. Or at least for a valium or something! I got NOTHING for my right and it was just too freaky. I was completely out for my left, but that was major surgery.

Tina

08/17/2009 05:25 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Your welcome for posting the videos; we thought they were very informative and cool, at the same time being animated so people (namely my hubby) who can't tolerate blood can watch them too!

My thought was to ask for IV valium (which I got when I had my last 6 top teeth pulled, and I remember very little about the entire process) and then a local. I figure, if you don't remember it after, it can't be too bad, right?

08/17/2009 07:41 PM
aTinaL
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That's a good plan, I like that plan! I agree with you Wink

I have a dentist who puts me under for the pulling of the teeth, too. Love that man!

Even if they won't knock you out, demand SOMETHING! I just had a nasty nurse. She figured just because she could take surgery with only a local, everyone should be able to!

BTW, that particular local, and I am NOT afraid of shots or needles, mind you, that particular one curled my toes, crossed my eyes and made me want to scream! That puppy was PAINFUL!

08/18/2009 05:27 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I believe you! I didn't much care for the injection of Kenalog, and that with AFTER the xylocaine to numb it down some!

08/18/2009 07:38 PM
aTinaL
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yeah, if they put a numbing agent on before they injected the local, I surely couldn't tell! Ouch!

08/18/2009 08:06 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well my rheumy gave me an injection of Xylocaine before he injected the Kenalog, so I got an injection to cover up an injection. Now I understand why insurance is so dang expensive!!Laughing

08/19/2009 08:21 AM
aTinaL
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yeah, I get that before my cortisone injections, too. Makes you wonder how painful it would be with out that, doesn't it?! The ones in your wrist anyway.

The cortisone shots I get in my elbow don't hurt at all. I pretty much quit getting them, though, because I found out what it can do to your tendons.

08/19/2009 11:11 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

I would need something alot stronger then valium but if that works for you....sounds like a plan.

I've had so many injections all over my body, it actually helped Steve stop being afraid of needles lol between watching and seeing what I had to go through, he just stopped being afraid...isn't that cool?

Connie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved