MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/29/2011 09:33 PM

Does CTS flare up with using crutches?

lacasajo
lacasajo  

Anyone with CTS ever had to use crutches (for other reasons, not because of the CTS! duh...)? I will be getting some surgery on my hip and will need to use crutches after. I've had one CTS surgery and that side should be fine. I have CTS symptoms in the other hand that I keep under pretty good control. I wear a splint day and night when I do flare it up and it settles after a couple weeks usually. I am expecting I'll have to wear my splint while using crutches. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Style of crutches? Type of hand grips on crutches? Thanks! Jo

01/30/2011 10:44 AM
sunflowerspa
sunflowerspaPosts: 704

Smile Hi Jo!! How are you doing??

I can understand your concern after your hip surgery--and using crutches! I was also concerned-since i had had both shoulders replaced-----------however, here in the USA-----for all the hip surgeries--from what i have seen----------they use a walker--easy to use--easier on your hands and shoulders.And, i felt, after my hips surgery--very balanced and in control.

So maybe you could ask the surgeon about that------see how that goes!Silly

Take care. Hugs, SunflowersSmile

01/30/2011 02:59 PM
lacasajo
lacasajo  

Hey, Sunflowers! Yes, thanks for the suggestion! I wondered about using a walker instead, except for up and down stairs. Plus a walker stays standing up when you let go of it! I don't really need to ask the OS as I can borrow med equipment from Red Cross for 3 months - just need a PT/OT or any doc to sign the form...and I know lots of people who fit the criteria! I've also seen gel hand grips that you can add to crutches or a walker... thought that might be more comfortable too. Now I've worked so hard trying to keep strong before my surgery, I've strained something in the other hip Angry ! So gotta take it easy to get that settled. Oh, brother, if it's not one thing it's another... as you know all too well! Jo

02/01/2011 10:26 AM
sunflowerspa

Smile Hi Jo! Sure does seem--one problem after another! So sorry to hear your other hip--is not behaving-------uggg.Silly Do you think the walker for downstairs---and use the crutches when you are upstairs?? The walker does still stand there when u sit down--but i just felt more comfortable using it------see how things go--you can always change...will you have some rehab. come to your house?? Or will you stay in the hospital for your rehab? Take care Jo...........hugs, Sunflowers Wink

02/01/2011 08:37 PM
lacasajo
lacasajo  

The surgery is just day surgery, although occasionally patients stay 1 night. I'll go to my favourite neighbourhood PT clinic after I get home... I'm sure glad Housepet is retired and can be my chauffeur, cook, butler, etc. for awhile! You know what that's like! Jo

02/02/2011 06:47 AM
sunflowerspa

Smile Smile Hi JO!! Wow, your hip surgery is one day surgery? No staying overnight?? Yikes! I was thinking tho--to help your confidence---maybe you could get a pair of crutches now----and get used to them------so, when the time comes you'll feel more at ease-------just a thought!

Hope Housepet will be rested up and ready for his big nurse skills and cooking and cleaning skills. I know he will do perfectly well--he is so considerate and helpful now! Yea Housepet!!Smile Smile

Take care Jo. Hugs,SunflowersSmile

02/02/2011 10:44 PM
lacasajo
lacasajo  

Hi Sunflowers! I did practice with the crutches, even on stairs, but that was BEFORE my OTHER knee/hip flared up. So I suppose I should try it again. I have decided I will get both crutches and a walker so I will have both options. I may get a wheelchair too! My insurance will cover all that no problem.

Housepet is used to cooking and cleaning already and I know he'll be a good nurse (he's a retired physician!) coz he's done a good job in the past. Smile I know I will be in good hands! Jo

02/04/2011 03:12 PM
sunflowerspa

Smile Hi Jo!!! I think you are really well organized with getting ready for your upcoming surgery!!Smile Sounds like you will have all the equipment you will need......and best of all-----------HousePet is well qualified to take care of you!!! Yeah Housepet!!

I do hope your other hip will settle down--asap!!!!

Have a good and relaxing weekend!! hugs, SunflowersSilly Smile

02/06/2011 12:10 PM
lacasajo
lacasajo  

Thanks, JR! I have heard of Millennial crutches and actually ran into someone a couple weeks ago who was using them, so I asked her how she liked them (said she had to use them pretty long term)and, like you, said they were the best crutches she had ever used! I'm in Canada and can only find one Canadian online medical equipment site that is selling them, and I can not find any local (or close to local) suppliers. So perhaps I should just bite the bullet and order a pair.

Jo

02/09/2011 02:55 AM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Sunflower, I am an advocate for walkers 100%. They give one a 4 point base to stand with rather than than crutches. I cannot use crutches do to fine motor problems due to TBI so a walker was the only way to go in my book

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved