MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/28/2010 06:32 AM

New and Scared

elzbth88

Hi...I'm seeking an online support group for my eating disorder (binging/purging)...I'm realizing I can't do this on my own and I think an online support group would be great for me. A little bit about myself - I had joined Weight Watchers a few years ago, lost about 35 pounds and have kept it off. I find myself getting into binging/purging cycles when I feel as though I've lost control with what I've eaten in a day. I also find that when I'm alone...I lose control. When I'm with others - I eat perfectly. It's terrible. I live with my boyfriend so it's such a mental head game I play with myself - whenever he leaves, I slip into a cycle. I just need some support - would love to hear from others.

Thank you for listeningSmile

09/28/2010 09:01 AM
ninamarie1324
ninamarie1324  

Welcome to our group! What you are describing is very typical of someone with bulimia - it's all about secrets. On the outside, we often appear to others as the paragon of nutritional virtues, but when we are alone - that is where it all comes out! I hope you'll read some of the posts on here to get more info and to get a feel for the supportiveness of our group. We are all at various stages in recovery, and we are all here to listen, encourage, and support as much as you need! Feel free to private message myself or any of the other leaders... we are available at least once a day and sometimes more to help! God Bless!

09/30/2010 12:33 PM
maisen
maisen  

Hi and welcome! I'm really happy you have decided to seek some support. Ed's are such a lonely battle. It really helps to have others to talk to that understand how addicting they become. Keep posting and look forward to getting to know you!

10/21/2010 02:42 PM
manthacarrie

Hi i'm new too and i don't even know how to talk about my story so i haven't even done that yet i'm so scard to admit these things. I know that this would be good for me too. I was reading some of the stories before i joined and it brought me to tears that so many people feel the same way i do. It's hard to admit to someone in person you have a problem so this is great for both of us and i hope that we can get to know and help each other.

10/21/2010 02:56 PM
tigerlily82
tigerlily82  

welcome to the group elzbth88 and manthacarrie. the people on this group are very supportive and I hope you can find some comfort here!

10/21/2010 09:44 PM
ninamarie1324
ninamarie1324  

Manthacarrie - welcome to you too. It warms my heart to hear that you have felt a connection with us in the group... Ed's can certainly be a very lonely battle, and most of us assume we're the only ones who feel this way. It is certainly encouraging to realize that there are others out there like us. I'm glad you are here!

10/23/2010 06:05 AM
rlt
rlt  

Wow, your story sounds way too similar. I too lost weight the "hard" and right way with diet and exercise. I guess the compliments are nice, but somehow I find myself a little angry by them. What was wrong with me 40 pounds ago?????? My husdand has always been great, but the way he call me "petite" secretly makes me angry. One day a few months ago, I don't know why, I ate a ridiculous amount of food and purged. I find myself soooo hungry that I cannot get full, but of course I do not want to gain weight. I am terrified of that!!!! told my sister what I did, and would love to tell my husband, but cannot. I'm afraid he would follow me to the bathroom after I ate. This site is filled with great people who get it.

10/23/2010 03:43 PM
Maggie27

Hi Im new to this group too- Ive had problems with eating for several years but just this year I started throwing up after I eat and that scares me. It all feels so out of control and I am constantly terrified of gaining weight, but I cant bring myself to admit it to any of my friends or family. I know that people on this site understand what Im going through and I cant wait to get to know some of you.

10/23/2010 09:07 PM
ninamarie1324
ninamarie1324  

Welcome to you too Maggie! It is scary and lonely when things get so chaotic in your life! To all of you who've posted here - please try to remember it's sooooooo not about the food/weight gain! That's our primary focus because it's what feels "safe" to think about. Underneath it all, there is a usually a great deal of emotional turmoil that feels dangerous to think about and process through. Try to dig into what that is, as much as you can. That is where your growth will really take off!

10/25/2010 03:32 PM
maisen
maisen  

Welcome to all the new members posting here and sorry I'm late! We were out of town to go visit our new grandson again. He's about 8 weeks old now and just a little doll. I'll post some new pictures after we get them downloaded!!

So happy to see that everyone is chatting because the support here is awesome! The more open we can be about our ed's the easier it is to start recovery. And the great thing here is that it's fairly anonymous, you only have to say as much as you want to! I look forward to getting to know you all and glad to be back, I missed you guys!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved