MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2012 06:12 PM

Awkward Easter dinner, comments about weight..

ht0307

I had two dinners to go to today, one with my mom's side of the family and one with my dad's side. They were both.. really awkward. I haven't seen a lot of them since before I started losing weight. Right when I walked into the house of my grandparent's on my mom's side, my grandpa said, "Wow! Did you shrink?!" And during dinner they kept saying stuff like, "You lost so much weight, you look great! What's your secret?!" While I was trying to think of a good answer and not panic, my aunt looked down at my hands and said, "Ouch, where'd those scratches on your knuckles come from?" I wanted to cry so bad..

Then on my dad's side, my grandma asked if I had been eating enough and people just kept giving me that look, I don't know how to describe it. I absolutely can't stand it when people comment on my weight loss. It makes me feel so exposed and then they ask why I wanted to lose weight or what my "secret" is and I'm speechless. I can't tell the truth. Anyone else feel similar? :/

04/09/2012 02:14 AM
mem4809

I have been through this when I first lost a lot of weight quickly. I was first anorexic and then bulimic--like now. I tis hard to hear the comments especially because it shows how much others are focused on weight too. I lie and just say I watch what I eat and workout--which is true for me. I never used the bulimia for weight loss to be honest, it was more of an emotional thing.

Anyway, people say stupid things. I would never comment on others' weight knowing how it affects me. Other times I just smile or nod my head and don't say much. But I think a lot of the comments are a source of people's concern for you too, but people just don't know how to show it.

04/09/2012 06:49 AM
rlt
rlt  

I totally see how what hypocrites people are. We are "told" that weight doesn't mean anything, yet lose some and oh my gosh!!! People think its wonderful!!! God forbid you should be sick, it wouldn't matter and people don't even ask if your feeling ok... as long as you're losing weight...... makes me sick!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved