MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/16/2010 06:10 AM

ED Wastes so much time!!

ang12
ang12  

I am happy that my ED is good and I am so motivated to keep at away! It is amazing how much more productive I am with my time! My energy is higher, my house is getting more organized and I feel great that I am not wasting money on food that I used to purge. Life is so much better when I don't let my ED control my day/mood etc! I need to remember this!!! I am going to another OA meeting today. It helps a bunch. Just to be around others who know the addiction food has on us. Life IS WAY BETTER like this! I am not letting myself get too hungry, this helps. If I don't eat enough, my mind will go towards food...because I physically NEED it!! Then I am at risk for eating whatever..and ultimately purging.

Has anyone ever thought about how much money and time wasted on food? Not to metion the mental energy?

12/16/2010 07:11 AM
Lonelygirl83
Lonelygirl83  

I agree with this so much...especially the part about the lack of mental energy...I would have done so much better in school if I wasn't caught up with bulimia...I know I am so much more productive when I'm not b/p... Everything you said is so true.

Post edited by: Lonelygirl83, at: 12/16/2010 01:56 PM

12/16/2010 01:41 PM
awhnuh
awhnuhPosts: 133

It put me into debt there for a little while.

OA is awesome. I'm SO glad it's helping you as it is me! <3

12/16/2010 04:12 PM
b1234
b1234Posts: 128

Yes the amount of mental energy is unebelievable! I also feel like an all around better person especially in my career(which involves caring for others). Now if I feel like relapsing for some reason I think to myself and say instead of spending this money on food I am going to spend it on something nice for myself. It's a real eye opener.

12/17/2010 03:18 AM
ang12
ang12  

My relationships are so much better when not in my addiction! Like, I went out to eat with my husband last night, and I ordered healthy...ate slowly, and really enjoyed listening to him talk...really listening and engaging, taking notice of the nice setting and hot tea. Resisting the appetizer my husband got....and the bread. Not over indulging at the restaurant and then thinking........"I NEED TO get to a bathroom Stat- to purge" I am happier. Like you Lonely girl, I concentrate so much better when FOOD is not on the brain!! And I am so much more productive. I used to go to the library to study, to get out of the quite house where food is available... to easy to binge.

Also B123, I do better in my career too! I am actually "there" if you know what I mean.

I am soooo much more effecient..not dragging. I hold my head higher....my confidence is so much better because I do not have the secret, and I am more engaged with people. I seem more caring toward others when I am not destroying myself! Yesterday, I was at home at wrote a list of "chores" It felt great to cross them off my list. Often, in past while at home I would have wasted much time binging, purging, planning what my next indulgence would be....then when leaving the house I would waste money on binge food...10-20$$$ usually! Wow that adds up...because while active in my disease, I would spend this daily. So, 300-600 month!!! yipes!! I used to justify spending money like this because it was my "stres relief" and I actually convinced myself I liked my disease!!! DENIAL. I am SOOOO happy to be living healthy! I am going to go to OA today, I am trying to go whenever I can!!! Because ours is a disease of Isolation....good to admit we are powerless over food, with other who are too.

Post edited by: ang12, at: 12/17/2010 03:19 AM

12/20/2010 02:49 PM
ninamarie1324
ninamarie1324  

Yay for you guys for thinking about all the reasons being in recovery is so much better than letting ED control everything. I suggest that you come back here when you are relapsing (or thinking about it) and read all the reasons why you don't want to do that!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved