MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/15/2009 10:00 AM

Brain Injury issues

mlbbarry

My cousin and best friend suffered a brain injury in March of this year. Died on the table, brought back, had a brain bleed and severe skull fracture, with frontal lobe damage. Amazingly she was out of the hospital in less then a month, but since shows signs of severe aggression, anger, and her friends and family are dropping away like flies. She thinks she is perfectly normal and doesn't see what she is doing to the people around her. They are afraid of her and don't want to start an arguement with her so. She now wants to divorce her husband and her kids who once loved and adored her now don't want to be around her. She quit her therapy, and finally found a doc that would sign off on her driving again. She seems to know how to work around the system. I am scared she is going to be holding a cardboard sign on a street corner ten years from now. Please help me with any thoughts you might have so I may help her and her family before it is too late.

Thanks for listening. Monica

06/15/2009 11:41 AM
BrandiJo

my brother had a brain injury from a motorcycle accident. He has alot of aggression at first, but it only lasted a week or so. How long as this been going on for? What i did was i video taped him when he was acting up. Now that hes "better" i show him the tapes. He is shocked and doesnt remember acting that way. Frontal lobe deals with mood and memory. Does she have any memory problems? i wish you guys luck. i remember how hard it was for me when my brother was being mean! thank goodness it jsut stopped!

06/15/2009 11:50 AM
mlbbarry

This has gone on a couple months now. She was not always a polite person before the accident, but it is 100 times more so now. She did have memory problems but seems fine with that now. Maybe we could hide video recorders throughout the house so she could then see how she is treating others. I really don't know what to do, but thanks for your feedback. Monica

06/15/2009 11:59 AM
BrandiJo

i am very sorry for this unfortunate issue. Scotty04901 is this groups leader. I would talk to him. Hes amazing and might be able to help you more. I am new to all of this as well. my brothers accident was this past april 26th. I can only tell you what we did. and that was video tape him, and tell him when he was being ugly, and like i said thankfully it only lasted about a week. My brother is a very sweet, pure person. so this mean, dirty , person was NOT him. I was really scared. But was told that it was "normal" for people with brain injuries. Hang in there! i wish you well. and PLEASE talk to Scotty. Wink

06/15/2009 12:02 PM
mlbbarry

Thank you so much for your concern.

06/15/2009 04:00 PM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

She may need meds for the anger and aggression issues.

06/15/2009 05:52 PM
mlbbarry

Most likely yes but how do you make a 38 year old woman who thinks she is perfectly fine take her meds. She wouldnt even take the meds the hospital was giving her, she just wouldn't do it. Anyone that ticks her off she just cuts right out of her life. Thank you both for your help, I know you are trying to offer new ideas and i do appreciate it. Have a great evening. monica

06/15/2009 05:57 PM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Well, as we think of things, we bounce them off you. We don't know unless we mention them. Some where along the road, we may get a good idea.

06/15/2009 07:16 PM
mlbbarry

Well then keep bouncing the idea's, I'm listening.

06/16/2009 01:18 AM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Great Hun.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved