MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/28/2010 10:46 AM

Is it true

Jessiewacho

Is it true Bpd suffers cannot be helped? I find this a little scary. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and even tho it has taken me 2 years to admit it and get help, I seem to run up against a brick wall with therapist and doctors both. They want to treat with meds that don't work or make me feel am wasting their time.

I have gotten more help from the internet.

07/28/2010 01:50 PM
Indubitably
Indubitably  
I'm an Advocate

Are you seeing therapists that specialize in Borderline? Many doctors don't, and going to them is a waste. Find a doctor that has the skill set to help you. Borderline people are not beyond help.

07/29/2010 01:46 AM
Spiderwoman
Spiderwoman  

I agree with Indubitably, there ARE doctors out there, it's just a matter of finding the right one. Same with meds. It's a game you gotta play with the meds...just keep trying new ones to see if they work. It's a real pain in the ass, but there's really no way around it. It takes time. When you find the right one or combo, it will completely change your life! I've also found a wealth of information on the 'Net. It took me years to find a good pdoc and therapist, and I finally have. So worth the wait and effort. I hope you find a doctor that meets your needs soon.

07/29/2010 02:35 AM
Angela2
Angela2  
VIP Member

Jessie, I'm glad you find comfort and help from support groups and hope you can find the same thing here.

Of course, there is no cure for bpd, but there are things that help keep it somewhat manageable. DBT seems to be very popular. Did a therapist tell you there's no hope?

07/29/2010 07:59 PM
venusenvynyc
venusenvynyc  

Jessie, it is absolutely NOT TRUE that there is no hope for people with BPD. Many doctors have prejudices about borderline, because it has a "bad reputation." Doctors who believe the "hype" aren't able to help people with BPD, but instead of viewing it as a lack of skill on their part, they blame the patients. Fortunately, there are doctors who aren't like that.

Try to seek out a doctor who specializes in treating BPD. As Angela mentioned, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) was designed specifically with patients with borderline in mind, and many folks here, including me, have found it incredibly helpful. There's no magic bullet for BPD, but with supportive therapy it can be managed and sometimes goes completely into remission.

That's what happened with me. It will always be relevant that I had borderline because some of the thought patterns come back when I'm stressed. But I no longer have BPD. Please don't lose hope!

07/29/2010 10:44 PM
Indubitably
Indubitably  
I'm an Advocate

I don't know that I really have it anymore either. Like Venus, the thought patterns present when I'm really upset, but overall I feel like I've overcome much of it.

It just takes time.

Elle

07/29/2010 11:24 PM
Spiderwoman
Spiderwoman  

Oh, I've definitely got it. Venus and Indubitably, oh wise ones, teach me how to not have it anymore too!! Tongue

07/30/2010 04:55 PM
venusenvynyc
venusenvynyc  

I wish I could, Spider! Unfortunately, I'm neither a therapist nor someone who's physically present in your life. You'll have to seek out additional help in your corner of the world.

I'm personally a huge cheerleader for DBT. It's helped me an incredible amount! (I actually think it saved my life; I was hellbent on destroying myself before I finally got that support). Sometimes it can be hard to find a group, and it can be expensive, but for me, being able to live and be healthy and enjoy life was a worthwhile investment, even if I have less money for it.

07/30/2010 05:51 PM
Spiderwoman
Spiderwoman  

I do have a therapist that I see. She does help me quite a bit. It's like she can see the things I can't see or realize that is right in front of my face. I will be seeing her next week and I am really looking forward to it because I have some things I need to talk about.

I'm glad to hear that DBT worked well for you.

07/31/2010 10:36 AM
venusenvynyc
venusenvynyc  

That's great to hear, spider! One thing that has definitely changed over time for me is as I got more practice working with my therapist, I started being more able to see the things she was pointing out to me on my own, before she mentioned them. It's a great skill to develop, and maybe your therapist can help you with that.

Now, even when I'm not in therapy, I have an "inner therapist" I can turn to for guidance. She can help me out with most of the issues I come across, and when I need more support I go find my therapist in the outside world Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved