MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/12/2012 07:22 PM

what to do when you're lonely?

sweetmess87
sweetmess87Posts: 13

I joined a dating website and ended up doing stupid things that made me feel even more alone (and used) than before I started. What should I do when I start to feel completely alone and isolated?

04/12/2012 07:28 PM
peaches261
peaches261  
Group Leader

I like things that have to do with music and art, watch movies, read, take a walk, bubble bath, pretty much anything I enjoy and don't have to have a partner to do. Try to join activities where you can meet people, and you don't have to take it any further than just being friendly at that activity if that's what you feel comfortable with. I'm also trying to learn how to get an equal amount of alone time and social time.

04/12/2012 10:01 PM
yellowroze
yellowroze  

if you have friends or family that you can talk to, definitely call them. if you're really desperate you can also call suicide hotlines and they will talk to you for as long as you need.

definitely taking your mind off of being alone is a good thing to do. like peaches said, bubble baths, reading, movies... stuff like that work great as long as you don't do them halfheartedly.

maybe go get your hair or nails done if you are able to do that. do you have a pet? or are you able to get one? that might help.. i know my kitties help me not feel so lonely

04/13/2012 07:43 AM
Snowpuma
Snowpuma  

I reach out to the few people that I am comfortable with, go for coffee, a movie, lunch. I put on my favorite music and clean, paint, draw, write. I play with my kids, play with my dog, water/clean my plants. I talk on groups like this one. I watch a favorite tv series on Netflix. I bake, go for walks, go fishing. I shower, get my hair done, paint my nails, craft something.

04/13/2012 12:14 PM
sweetmess87

I don't really have any friends at this point, just a caring ex, I guess you could call him, but he admits he doesn't like to deal with me when I am depressed or out of touch with reality. I live with my parents and they take off of work to be with me, but I miss having normal relationships with my peers too. Yes, I have my kitty, that helps sometimes Smile I really want to try crafts, like painting. They say van Gogh had BPD. Anyway, I guess all those things would work, thank you for the suggestions guys!

04/13/2012 01:14 PM
peaches261
peaches261  
Group Leader

I actually just go to a craft store or walmart and get wood boxes and stuff like that, and some cheap paint. I put music on and paint for hours. I dont do anything with them after that,they're just sitting on a shelf behind my living room door haha

04/14/2012 05:34 PM
sweetmess87

thanks guys, i think i will go to a crafts store tonight. i'm feeling particularly lonely 'cuz it's saturday night and, as usual, no plans Sad

04/14/2012 06:42 PM
peaches261
peaches261  
Group Leader

I've actually started playing words with friends on facebook. Sometimes it takes a while for the other person to play, but I like it because you can have facebook pick a random person waiting to play if your friends arent online. I have about 20 games going right now. Grin

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved