MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/14/2010 07:05 PM

Letting folk know after all these years

harobed
harobed  

I have been telling a select few - mostly I get "we already knew" but some are shocked.

I'm trying to figure out how to answer questions. I am enjoying the feeling of freedom - of not having to live a lie anymore I guess I expect folk to all be happy and ready to express support.

What experiences have others had in this regard?

H.

10/20/2010 07:50 PM
Hrothgar
HrothgarPosts: 222

None for myself, but I've had a couple friends who did the whole gird themselves up, catch people they knew in corners and nervously tell them they were not straight... both of whom I had thought were gay for YEARS!!! One of them I had not seen in 20 years. We became friends again after running in to each other in an art gallery. He sort of shuffled around a bit and invited me to his birthday party and then said- oh, and I figured out a couple years ago that I'm gay! My jaw dropped, my mouth hung open, he looked nervous, and I said "but you were gay in HIGH SCHOOL!!"

He said- "Why didn't anyone tell ME that!!!!" Honestly, I never even considered he didn't know!

10/20/2010 07:58 PM
Annabeth
Annabeth  

Most of my friends don't care. I don't keep in touch w/ a lot of the people I was friends w/ in high school, so I haven't bothered telling them, and the rest of my friends I introduced myself as bi to when I met them. Not in a "Hey, my name's Annabeth and I like boys AND girls!" but if it came up I'd let them know. My parents don't know, and most of my extended family either doesn't care or never asked. I like to keep it that way.

11/04/2010 07:37 AM
fisforflute356
fisforflute356  

a lot of people in my generation (current college students) are pretty accepting of anything. of course, i also live in philadelphia, so maybe its the city scene, i dont know. ive got most my family in pennsyltucky, and i highly doubt they understand what bisexuality means let alone accepting one in the fam. for now, i'll stick to coming out to my more openminded friends. i guess im a tad afraid of rejection.

11/04/2010 07:38 AM
fisforflute356
fisforflute356  

ps.

although, once when i was younger, my mom said something like "it'd break my heart if you were gay, but i'd love you no matter what" sort of thing. moms always know. i havent come out to her, but i get the feeling that she knows more than she lets on.

11/04/2010 07:47 AM
jenn123
jenn123  

yea, when i came out to my ex-husband he was not suprised. I was more suprised then he was ( i fell head over heals in love w/a woman during the course of our marriage). I never realized i could have those feelings but he did Smile

11/10/2010 01:13 AM
BerLynn
BerLynn  

Well I figured it out when I was about 14, me and my best friend became very close, we hooked up and then ended things but we are still best friends, we joke that if we ever leave our boyfriends it will be for one another lol. But I have always been pretty open about it, my dad and my step-mom found out when I was about 16 and my mom found out about the sametime I did cause I tell her everything. My boyfriend has know from pretty much the whole time we have been together, but I'm pretty sure everyone that knows me knows.

11/11/2010 06:55 PM
jessika2hot
jessika2hot  
VIP Member

its hard letting people know your bi sexual, and coming out, people are very judgemental and can be mean and then there times were people are very open and caring! and open up with open arms

11/29/2010 11:33 PM
Hrothgar
HrothgarPosts: 222

And MAn do I wish there was a magic viewer to tell the open from the shut!

12/15/2010 11:17 PM
BabyNotSoBeautiful

There was a point in time in my life when I had no idea what gay meant, or bi, or whatever! But then I moved, and magical things happend!

When I was about 10 my mom used to joke about me and my friend being gay together, but the funny thing is, is that it ended up happening! Haha. Now she's chewing her words, and she kicks herself in the ass for saying it, because now she's Christian and believe inthe bible 100% and being 'involved' with the same sex is an unforgivable sin and blah blah blah..

But anyways, I've been bi since I was about 11, or 12.. Whichever. My mom was like, I'm sending you to an all girls catholic school! I was like, have at er! Then I will come back 100% lesbian! Haha yeh, good times..

But other than my family, most of my friends seem to be open, and they really don't care wether I'm bi or straight, cause I'm still the same ole' Ryelee I always have been Smile just a whole lot funner!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved