MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/27/2010 05:52 AM

Neurontin (Gabapentin) Losing Effectivness?

blabinsky13
blabinsky13  
VIP Member

Wondering if any of you have taken, or are taking, Neurontin for your Fibromyalgia? Has it helped you? Did it seem to be less effective in easing your pain over time?

I had a terrible fibro. flare-up this weekend extending into this week. The Neurontin didn't seem to be working at all. This, btw, was instigated by radical changes in the weather.

I have PM'd my doctor's office about it and should hear back today or tomorrow if I can increase the dosage again. I am currently taking 1,200 mg 3 times a day for a grand total of 3,600 mg. daily.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Post edited by: blabinsky13, at: 01/27/2010 05:55 AM

01/27/2010 11:38 AM
mem9881

I was taking Gabapentin for about a week and then I had an allergic reaction to it so I had to stop taking it. I wish I could offer some advice on it.

Maybe you could check in the Fibro group. I know that a lot of the people in the group take Gabapentin. Hope that you can get some relief or answers soon.

03/29/2010 09:04 PM
santos63
santos63  

Gabapentin, also called Neurontin, is an anticonvulsant, and in my 2010 Drug manual is not an approved drug for Fibro, although it is frequently used for it, as it is also used for diabetic neuropathy. I took the drug for a short period of time without results other that sedation.

So, I'm sorry but I can't answer your question, however, alot of people do develop a tolerance to different medications over time. So if you are building up a tolerance, it would not be unheard of. Best of luck and let us know your progress. I will be interested to see what the MD has to say and does.

03/30/2010 06:51 AM
blabinsky13
blabinsky13  
VIP Member

Thanks for your responses. I am still taking Neurontin at the same dosage mentioned in my previous post. My doctor added Ultram (Tramadol) 50 mg. every six hours as needed for pain. It seemed to help at first, and I still think it does to some extent, but I appear to develop a tolerance to meds. very quickly. I've been having a difficult time of it pain-wise lately with the changes in weather. And am now also in physical therapy for pain in my knees from what may be tendonitis or bursitis. It never ends ...

03/30/2010 08:25 AM
santos63
santos63  

I also tried tramadol unsuccessfully, it activated my hypomania. Kept me up all night, even when taken at early am hours. And after being activated during the day and not sleeping at night, that of course, equaled more pain in the long run.

03/30/2010 10:37 PM
mimmy
mimmy  

I'm taking gabapentin currently too and it's really for my bipolar, but it has helped my fibro in the past. here lately though I've been having more pain.

03/31/2010 02:13 PM
santos63
santos63  

You will have more pain with physical therapy, I'm also in physical therapy right now, too. It really does heighten the pain significantly. Are you having Aquatherapy? It is a lot easier to handle. Aquatherapy is exercises in a heated pool. The heat is nice, it strengthened my muscles, but did not increase my range of motion. And these last two weeks have not been in the pool. But next week is my last week of PT. WooHoo!!!!

01/14/2012 06:51 AM
BiPolar69

I took Gabapentin several years ago ... it seemed to work at first but then when it stopped working my doc kept increasing it till I was on 2,800 mg a day!

I perceived it was making the pain worse. So, I weaned myself off of the drug and went on to the next drug.

I have NOT had much success with drugs

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved