MDJunction - People Helping People
Ask a Question
03/16/2010 01:23 PM

hello, i'm jackie and i'm 57 years old.

Posts: 1
New Member

i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 4 years ago and my doctor, a psychiatrist, thinks it is under good control but i still have lows that make me just want to sleep all day and highs that get me in trouble financially. my doctor doesn't want to change the meds i'm on, but i think i need something more than lexapro, abilify, strattera, and lunesta (i don't sleep at night). how do i convince him that it's just not working?

03/16/2010 04:36 PM
Posts: 7033
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome and hello. I don't see a traditional mood stabilizer listed in your meds. I'm no doctor, but bipolar people need a mood stabilizer. I believe that Abilify is an antipsychotic which is used for manic and mixed episodes with bipolar I. I took that from their website.

You might ask your pdoc to switch you to a traditional mood stabilizer like lithium, Depakote or Lamictal. Lamictal is good for depression too. It has few side effects. I take Lamictal and lithium, but I am med resistant.

I am not a doc, but I have learned a lot through reading and other people on this site. I hope that this helps. Good luck.

03/18/2010 10:41 AM
Posts: 1732
Senior Member

I couldnt agree more about the mood stabilizer. It is a key ingredient to any med cocktail for a Bipolar person. I would suggest talking to your pdoc about it and seeing what they say.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 All Rights Reserved