MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/01/2012 09:11 AM

Stability

FordPrefect2
FordPrefect2  

What does stability feel like? Will I ever feel the way I did prior to diagnosis? Thanks to those who reply.

05/01/2012 09:25 AM
bfly
bfly  
VIP Member

Well... you ask a question that, unfortunately, eludes many of us dealing with the bipolar diagnosis. In all honesty, I don't know what stability feels like... I mean real stability. I have my own operational definition... it's when I'm not manic, hypomanic or depressed... a rare occurence. I'm med compliant (mostly)... yet I seem to be in episode the majority of the time- I'm not the most sober person, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it... we define our own stability... it's all we can do... and for some of us- that's "less episodic than usual"... at least it is for me. Good post- interested in hearing other feedback. Welcome to the boards by the way!

05/01/2012 09:49 AM
BipolarRuth
BipolarRuth  

I've never been completly stable but the meds make me feel semi stable

05/01/2012 11:29 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
Group Leader

I feel really stable right now on my med combo and I'm so grateful for that. It feels great. I can't really describe how it feels - I guess it's what "normal" people feel like. No excessive irritability, no racing thoughts, no depression, no hypermania. Just level.

As for feeling like you did before diagnosis, I hope I never feel like that again. I was in such bad shape. I wasn't sleeping at all, I was always very, very irritable and I just generally felt terrible. Getting diagnosed and medicated was the best thing that ever happened to me. Even though I had to go through a bunch of meds to get to the ones I'm on now, I started feeling better right away just from sleeping again thanks to my seroquel.

I sincerely hope that you find the meds that make you stable very soon. Therapy helps a lot, too.

05/01/2012 11:31 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

I've been in the same situation as the last two posters. In fact, the last time I saw my pdoc (he knows me very well for years) he said he thinks my "baseline" has always been mildly hypomanic. I thought about it good an hard and had to agree. But that sometimes got me in trouble, so ideally the powers that be would like my baseline lowered a tad. I think I've felt that way on meds briefly at times, but I wasn't thrilled about it. I do know that now I feel a tinge depressed and anxious. Not well enough to look for a job. That makes me still disabled. I don't want to be disabled. It's been too long.

I am hopeful that I will eventually be able to get a job again, but I need to make some more changes in my life beyond med changes. I've been resisting stubbornly. I think my mental healthcare team is getting angry at me.

05/02/2012 08:27 AM
dugg
dugg  

i think that like both the symptoms and the diagnosis, the definition of stability can be highly individualized... but in the same way there are some commonalities.

stability for me is defined by absences... what i "am not". it means i'm not so worried about getting manic, and there's a floor for my basement- ie - when i'm depressed, i only get "this depressed" and don't keep sinking deeper and deeper into a darkness where not only can i not talk to anyone else, i can't even stand being with myself and the horrible thoughts in my mind.

BP to me is a first-hand experience of extremes - life turned up to 11! by getting a handle on each of these extremes, one can focus on finding a place somewhere between them that works for you and lets you get along with others well enough to try and do what you want to in the world...

05/02/2012 10:16 AM
john1961
john1961Posts: 116

stability is different for everyone. For me it is being able to conduct my life in a normal way.It has taken a long time to find and accept the delicate balance and dance but I can say today I feel stable. Iaccept my stability when it is there in the same way I embrace and accept my illness.Like they say keep your friends close your enemies closer that is the way you need to approach bp. Keep yoour enemy close and understand it its every aspect.This allows you to make the best decisions for you which will bring clarity.

Medicatin and therapy has brought that for me although the meds or as I refer to them my personal chemistry experiment vary and get tweak. I just went therough a rough patch and meds have been tweaked and getting back the ground I lost. srry to say it is a constant balancing act what we call stability

05/02/2012 10:34 AM
orchidsrme
orchidsrme  

I can't really help with this one. I was just diagnosed in February with Bipolar 1. I know that I felt the best I've ever felt right after starting the medications, but I think I was a little manic then. I have a lot of stress going on in my life right now and don't think I will be able to feel balanced until I'm out on my own and have my life back. Good luck to you, and I hope you get some answers Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved