MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2012 02:29 PM

Coping

jayna01
jayna01  
VIP Member

I was wondering if any of you felt like you didn't have support from a family member. I was so hurt and shocked when my own father said he didn't believe in psychiatrists - it kind of made me feel like if he doesn't believe in psychiatrists then he must not believe in my mental illness. He has made mention to that effect before. He is my adoptive dad. H was abusive to us growing up, especially to my brother. I guess it shouldn't surprise me how he feels because he is very judgemental.

Anyone else deal with this?

04/24/2012 02:38 PM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I was never abused as a child, but my father is the same way. He just wants me off the meds (yeah right). At times I do feel lonely and it seems that no one cares about my illness. That is one big reason I joined MDJunction.

04/25/2012 06:09 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

my 1st wife dealt with a abusive adopted mother, it as if the adopted mother wanted her adopted child in her image or the image she thought a child should be, my 1st wife had been raped by a family friend when she was 15 and adopted mother would not believe her. my 1st wife just wanted her mother to love her, i do not think her adopted mother knew how. i helped my 1st wife escape from the dysfunctional relationship , her adopted mother had locked her up and boarded up the windows so she could not get out, this is after she had been divorced and was 20 years old. we run off together, many years ago.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved