MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 07:48 AM

Baby Step Successes

TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I know that many of us work so hard on trying to manage our illness. I do anyway. It is important that we acknowledge our progress.

I am a type of person that tends to take on more than I can handle so when I manage to take baby steps towards alleviated that issue, I am quite proud of myself. I do backslide sometimes and that is alright. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

My point is that maybe we can share our success stories, no matter how big or small, I feel that it can inspire all of us.

Baby steps are still steps. Smile

04/16/2012 07:54 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have a strong tendency to "say too much" and quite speedy.

When I went down to my apt complex office to get a new filter for our A/C, the rep was busy so I had to wait a few moments. I stayed silent while she was doing what she needed to do first. I consciously kept telling myself "Stay quiet. They don't need the information you may share and it could easily draw unwanted attention to me." No thanks as that just promotes drama. I stayed quiet and stuck to the point. I was quite proud of myself that I was able to accomplish my goal. Took baby step but regardless, it was a step. Smile

I have a hard time with silence and wen I make small talk, I tend to keep talking and often make myself look ridiculous and over-exposed to them. I don't like it. The key to that is focusing on the steps accomplished and work towards them again if you backslide a bit. The hard part is not beating myself in the process.

04/16/2012 10:44 AM
john1961
john1961Posts: 115

our successes are baby steps. I take each day as it comes sometimes each second as they come. BP is a finicky disease and as long as I can claim something good each day. It is a great day. It could be as simple as getting a phone call made or as big as getting out to grocery shop. A major victory is getting to the gym daily.

Baby steps is what puts quality and value into our lives and I am thankful for each and everyone

04/16/2012 06:40 PM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

i talk to everyone like they were my brother, i guess i have lost interests sometimes if they hear me or not, i know it embarrasses people with me, at time i do not think about it, my brother does the same with me. strange if i am by myself i do not say much. what is that? but i can write to strangers all day.

04/17/2012 05:10 PM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Anybody make any baby steps today?

Today I was able to get past some of my own issues and listen to my oldest daughter. Really listen. She was upset and all she wanted was for me to hold her and that is what I did. No matter how antsy I might have been feeling. It was a really good feeling. She and I have a lot of healing to do together.

04/17/2012 05:22 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

When I come to this group and post I am taking baby steps.

04/17/2012 06:54 PM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I actually got out of the house today. Went to the mailbox and took the dog for a walk. Those are baby steps for me.

04/25/2012 03:08 PM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have been working on less isolation. Having to spend time at the hospital helped some. I backslid a bit yesterday on it but didn't beat myself for it. I can only do what I can do, after all.

I was responsible today in taking care of some important bills and other issues. That is always a good step forward, baby step or not. Smile

04/25/2012 05:40 PM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

i try to get out at lease once a day or go for a ride, i was isolating to much for sure, i keep coming up with things so i do not have to go out.

04/26/2012 11:09 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Today I finally set up some important appointments that have been needing to be set for quite a long time now. I don't know why I avoid it but I do. It could be a BP thing or it could just be anxiety that causes the avoidance. Not sure.

My baby step for the day has been completed. I feel better now. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved