MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/10/2012 08:39 PM

Don't want to take my pills this evening

BipolarRuth
BipolarRuth  

Angry I'm frustrated tonight it's almost time to take my nightly pills., i have went weeks without them and my moods went hay wire but still I struggle with taking my meds each day.

Give me suggestion, how do you keep motivated to stay on your meds?

03/10/2012 09:24 PM
JustOk
JustOk  

I just think about how I felt before I started taking them and that is all the motivation need to take them. I had very bad depression and I never want to feel that again. I have my daily pill container. I hope you find your motivation and get back on the path to feel better.

03/10/2012 09:35 PM
BipolarRuth
BipolarRuth  

Thanks. Even though I know the consequences of my moods going all crazy I still find it hard but I will keep your advice in mind.

Thanks

03/11/2012 05:17 AM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I have a morning ritual in putting my meds together. I would recommend you try taking them at the same time every night. Like JustOk said, think about you felt before being on meds.

03/11/2012 06:22 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6829
Group Leader

I'm not thrilled about taking meds every day either, but just like JustOk and Enigma, all I have to do is think about what my life was like before meds and I am willing to take them. I am grateful for the stability they give me.

03/11/2012 06:37 AM
BipolarRuth
BipolarRuth  

Good news I have a pill box and will be separating my pills from now on, Thanks again.

03/11/2012 08:48 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

Just think of them as candy for the brain. It's like when you were a child and candy made you feel content.

No, actually you just have to do it. Set reminders on your phone/I-pod/MS Outlook, etc. and have pill boxes. That's what I do. Put the pill boxes out where you can see them. Just put them away when guests come over. I have 5 pill boxes now. I have to take Levothyroxine on an empty stomach 1/2 hour before breakfast, morning meds, afternoon meds, Geodon after dinner, and then nighttime meds. I guess I could take Geodon with nighttime meds, but I don't. I used to have a 6th box with vitamins (because the pharmacist said not to take them with meds). I did that for a while and then scrapped the vitamins and fish oil.

If you have bipolar disorder, then you need meds (unless you're a Robert Whitaker fan).

03/12/2012 11:54 AM
BipolarRuth
BipolarRuth  

The candy thinking and setting a reminder is a great idea. Thanks

03/12/2012 06:23 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

Like said above I keep in mind the deep depression and psychosis I went through....don't want to go through that again.

03/12/2012 07:30 PM
Silverclaw
Silverclaw  

I have this same problem! It's a fight sometimes just to swallow them! But eventually I do because I want to find what stable is for me and stop missing out on things when I'm depressed. I just think about why I'm rebelling against it and then I tell myself that's not a good enough reason to not take it. I hope taking meds gets easier for you. It can be a struggle but so is not taking them. All the best wishes to you!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved