MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 04:36 PM

Why are people on so many meds?(page 3)

Aravis
Aravis  

well i'm being a very stubborn patient and refuse to take antipsychotics any more. I tried seroquel, zyprexa, rispiridone and saphris and they all made me feel terrible and zombified me so i couldnt function in the day!! screewww that.

so now im just on lamictal and permanently a bit high or mixed..

02/28/2012 05:44 AM
Dit
Dit  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm taking more different meds than i've ever taken, 3 out of 4 of them are very low dosages, i know what each different med does for me so this i'm grateful, i'm not taking all these meds not knowing what they are doing.

03/01/2012 01:21 PM
nurse932

For years I was in denial and got very upset every time my psychiatrist only mentioned a antipsychotic. All the mixed states I went through was very exhausting. When I started working full time I started getting into trouble and was clueless why. My fear was terrible. I kept on knocking things down by mistake. My patients were asking me why I'm shaking (While hanging IV thinking I made a mistake). At times I was sure I was going to be fired. At times I became angry with my kids and husband, other times I was so hypomanic that I did wrestling with my 2 youngest boys (then 7 and 9 years old. I called my pdoc and made an emergency appointment.

I was still resistant. Started with Seroquel 25mg. I suffered because I agreed to increase the dose only in very small increments. after 2 years I was just started on 200mg.

The terrible side effects decreased after about 1-2 months. I guess I just had to give it some time.

03/01/2012 04:08 PM
puppyPower
puppyPower  

Okiesnnie, I believe that the CerefolinNAC helps the most. I subcribe to a site called Lumosity. It contains a series of 'games' that give your brain a good workout. Some of the games are the same that I took when i took my neuropsychological tests. The site gives you a score they call BPI. My score plateaud at about 860 for about a month, using the site almost every day. After I started my regimine of CerefolinNAC and Deplin, my score went up to 1150 and is now in the 1190 range. That's a 72% increase in cognative ability. As for memory, the games offered at that site exercise working memory, not short term memory, so I'm still not sure about that.

Cerefolin is basically a megadose of vitamin D-12 (I believe) with an added agent to allow it to pass the blood brain barrier. It is a vascular diolator (sp) so it allows more blood flow to the brain.

All 3 of my 'brain' drugs that i mentined are prescription only, so ask your doc if you think you'd like to give them a try. Because they are basically multivitamins, they may not be covered by your insurance. I don't have insurance, but they work so well for me i buy them anyways. At BDH (i think that's the name of the company) a 90 day supply costs $144. I noticed a difference within about 2 weeks, so I think if your doctor agrees it's worth a try.

I now after 3 years of not working have finally found a job doing what I used to do - computer programming. If the medicine is working, I should do fine. If not, well, lets not go there! It WILL work.

Hope this helps!

G

03/01/2012 09:46 PM
Aravis
Aravis  

Yeh antispychotics are awful... well my pdoc has just put me back on lithium in combo with the lamictal, since I wouldn't take the antipsychotics for the mania.. hopefully this will do the trick..

03/03/2012 08:41 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I'm annoyed that I have to take 2 additional meds to counteract some bad side effects from the Lithium. I guess it's still worth it though.

Zadie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved