MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/01/2011 05:18 AM

geodon-biting tongue

er44

I taje 160 mg. of geodon every night and I bite my tongue on the side and in the front of my tongue. I wear a mouth gaurd but most nights I end up spitting it out. Does anyone else bite their tongue or grind their teeth while taking geodon?

11/01/2011 05:58 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

You know, I'm not 100% sure when it started but I have been grinding my teeth almost every day for a large portion of the day since around the time I started Geodon. That would be about 2 years ago. I only grind (and shift my jaw) during the daytime, not during the night. I mentioned this to my pdoc and no real response. I mentioned it to my dentist and he said he'd fit me with a night guard, but I said "I don't grind them at night". I thought it was just anxiety, but I'm not always anxious when I do it. It seems sometimes just like a bad habit. I imagine I must look ugly when I'm doing it since I am shifting my jaw. Note: Sometimes I'll go for weeks without doing it, and then out of nowhere it starts up again.

Most of the time I was on Geodon I took 160 mg. I've only been on 80 mg for about 9 months. It is slightly better now, but not completely stopped.

Post edited by: Cthebird, at: 11/01/2011 06:00 AM

11/01/2011 09:50 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Teeth grinding, god yes! But not from Geodon. I have always ground my teeth. I have flat, not pointed, canine teeth and definite wear patterns. I can pop my jaw at will because the ligaments are trashed. I try not to do that though as it hurts. (duh!, right?! ) I have a mouth guard as I am a night grinder and I had bitten holes through it within the first 2 weeks that I have had it. I have owned it for about 10 years now and use it as often as I can remember. My grinding makes my hubby nuts and I don't especially like waking up with a sore jaw. *sigh*

My grinding is stress related, as well as chewing on my lips. I am told to stop it all the time but I can't. I really wanted braces as I have some minor gaps between my top front teeth but I refuse to pay so much money only to ruin it while I am sleeping. That is okay though, I believe that I have a nice smile now.

I don't think I have every had a med that increased the teeth grinding or lip biting. It is interesting though to learn this.

11/01/2011 10:02 AM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

I have TMJ form my boxing day. but I am lucky that I have no symptoms.

11/01/2011 06:51 PM
er44

My Doctor told me that it was from the geodon or from any antipsychotic med. It's part of muscle rigidity that people experience on these meds.s Mine is just so bad that during really bad grinding-biting tongue episodes that it hurts to talk. I've got to get a better night gaurd b/c I too can feel my teeth shifting as well. If I lowered the dose it may help but I really believe I need the 160mg.

Thanks for all replies.

er44

11/02/2011 04:24 PM
hunkydorie
hunkydorie  
Group Leader

I know at night that I grind my teeth, too. But I always have even before taking medications. Gee, I'm on geodon now at 120mgs. and I hope that doesn't intensify the grinding. Let us know how it goes for you. I'd be further interested if you hear of any other information regarding the correlation of the med geodon and grinding of teeth. Thanks, er44.

11/03/2011 09:46 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I grind my teeth, but not from Geodon. I first found out about it in 6th grade when I stayed at a youth hostel and woke up all 20 individuals in my bunk room (they thought there was a mouse or rat in the room). I once ruined a new root canal by grinding my teeth, leading to a surgical procedure to save the tooth which I then ruined by grinding my teeth again, leading to having it pulled (another operation). Major $$$! I use a mouthguard from the drug store and only lately have I been spitting it out. Also I have lots of frustrating food dreams about spaghetti more than anything else -- in my dream I keep trying to eat it but I can't! Every month or so I am forgetful and leave it on the bed -- my dog then claims it as his new favorite chew toy.

I've always bitten my tongue, lips and cheek as well, and so has my brother. Turns out a lot of us do -- there was a post about it in the bipolar forum a few weeks back about it. It was a great thread (as is this one) because no one seems to even talk about it, not even my dentist even though he told me he does it!

I've always been told that it all has to do with anxiety. Or, in my case, spaghetti / carbs?

My Ritalin also makes me clench my teeth. I see my dentist far more often than I'd like.

11/03/2011 04:43 PM
hunkydorie
hunkydorie  
Group Leader

Hey Zadieblue,

Speaking of teeth...I just fractured my last upper right molar over the weekend and now I have an abcess of which I am taking penicillin for. I will have to have it pulled because I can't afford a crown. It just doesn't seem fair, but what can I do. I was given a number by my therapist to see another dentist who has a sliding pay scale. I do have reasonable dental insurance, but I wonder if I could get a lower rate to have a crown done on another tooth that is in need of one.

I really have nice looking teeth, nice and striaght, but lately I'm not sure what's going to happen to my teeth if I keep going in the direction I'm going. When your teeth r in need of dental work or when in pain...it affects your whole body and well-being. At least mine it does.

In regards to the cheek biting, my dentist, notes it in my chart like it's some big thing. I think there r a lot more people out there who do it and don't think a thing about it. Just my thoughts on the subject!

11/03/2011 06:22 PM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I would definately call around and find a dentist with a payment plan. Without that tooth you'll be putting extra pressure on the surrounding teeth when chewing and grinding your teeth, making it exponentially more likely that you'll break another tooth. I'm missing a back tooth and I'm constantly pressured to get a bridge. I'm told it'll only be a matter of time otherwise. I have soft teeth and chipped several baby teeth and 1-2 permanent teeth, not counting the root canal / operation I ruined. Can you get a loan?

Zadie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved