MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/27/2011 08:56 PM

Therapy VS Meds

mem2949

Has everyone here taken meds for their BP/PTSD/ABUSE?

What has worked best for you?

Has everyone here been to therapy for BP or other health issues?

I'm on meds.. I currently take Topamax... not real sure if it's everything I need. Been on it for about 6 months.

Therapy... I think I'm ready, get psyched up for it, all set and ready to go, and that fizzles out quicker then the feeling comes that I'm ready to go. I did go one day about a month ago, again thinking I was truly ready to face this and continue it to the end. Then I chose to do my own therapudic ways... they seem to help me more, or as much and are cheaper. But the family Dr wants me to see someone else for my meds. I'm stuck at knowing what to do. What if I'm never ready for therapy. What if I just want to deal w/things in my own way??

09/28/2011 05:54 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi, Lori! Smile

Because you keep saying that you want to do things your own way, the first thing that came to mind is "well, is your current method working?". If it isn't then a new approach needs to happen, right? The big thing is that you will heal when your spirit is ready to heal. This isn't something that can be pushed.

I take Effexor XR and Lamictal (both are 300mg each) and well, it doesn't work completely for me. I don't go to therapy because I can't afford it and it isn't part of my treatment program. County pays for it, that's why. What I am doing isn't working for me really either. Although much better than without them, the meds are just not enough.

I am really curious though as to how you cope. Especially if they are alternatives to taking more pills.

09/28/2011 05:55 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

I've taken medication for the last 6.5 years for bipolar disorder and anxiety (I do not have PTSD or any history of abuse). None of my medication combinations have been perfect at alleviating my symptoms, but my current combo is about the best. I hope to go off the Lithium soon since I'm on too many meds and I don't think Lithium contributes that much to my wellness.

I've gone to therapy for about 8 years and the only time it really helped a bit was when I was in outpatient programs learning DBT therapy. I need coping skills and the discipline to use them! My current tdoc on the outside is nice enough but has served more as a person to see (not to be lonely) than a help in coping. I basically told him that a month and a half ago and so this Thursday he promised to focus on coping skills and check that I use them in subsequent sessions.

09/28/2011 06:59 AM
mem2949

Thank you both for your insight...

I don't know alternatives to not taking meds which is sort of what I was questioning and also... If a person needed therapy and how others are doing with therapy and if it helps or makes things worse or if the combination is needed for a person.

Right now I take my meds... I don't feel like they are working as good as some of my others have or like I'm at my best... But I'm at a standing point since my family Dr is wanting me to see a psychologist (or whatever they are called that talks to you AND evaluates you to dose your meds)... I thought I was ready for therapy but mentally and financially right now, well I'm not.

Other things I do for myself...

I have a positive journal/scrapbook that I work on everyday.

I search for inspirational quotes and self help articles. I have several inspirational emails that come to me daily that I start my day off with.

And last but not least I have found this site which has helped me out a great deal and enlightened me quite a bit on things.

I appreciate all feedback... All suggestions...

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to give me your insight.

09/29/2011 04:15 AM
hunkydorie
hunkydorie  
Group Leader

Hi Lori,

I don't really know of other alternatives to not taking meds. I have found that most need to take some type of med to help with the bipolar symptoms. I have seen a posting quite a while back where they were using a herbal form of treatment. I have been going for therapy for over 8 years and have found it to be helpful. I don't think that therapy alone would be beneficial for me because without meds, I would be a wreck and would not be able to function. Therapy I think can help, it certainly can't hurt I think for most people. When I have felt like I am getting therapy out, I schedule my appointments farther out and see my therapist less. Thus far I have been pleased with my therapist, however, I would prefer to see her partner, but that gets sticky. It would be nice if therapy alone was always the answer, but I don't see it being that way for most.

09/29/2011 05:45 AM
mem2949

Thank you hunkydorie I appreciate it.

I'm just at a loss right now...

I'm sure it will come to me sometime. Smile

09/29/2011 12:58 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

I see my Pdoc monthly and call her anytime I am having troble....I don't see a therapest. Your family doc is not qualified to treat your psych symptoms ...so see a Pdoc as soon as you can.

09/29/2011 01:45 PM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

It might seem strange at first sharing personal info with a complete stranger, and our ego's sometimes talk us into the "I can figure this out on my own" tendency. It's good to get another perspective OTHER than your friends, because they can't always be objective.

My advice in seeking out a therapist...after the first or second session, if you feel uncomfortable with that particular therapist...for any reason, look for another. If you don't feel a connection, you probably won't benefit, or take their advice/help seriously.

Either way, wishing you the best on your road to recovery. Most therapists really care and typically enter this field because of their own mental health issues OR that of their families...i.e., wanting to help others or figure out their family's dysfunctional dynamics. They are human too, they typically don't bite!

Best..Julie

09/30/2011 04:19 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have fired therapists before. This one that I went to was a judgemental bitch! Didn't know a damn thing about bipolar. Hell, I went through a really rough time and all that she could offer was "Quit whining!". I was in a lot of mental pain and that is all she could say? It took everything in my power not to snap back at her "F#@$ YOU!". I was proud of myself as I didn't.

I had another that all she did was sit there with this fake ass smile, nod her head alot and say "uh huh". Drove me nuts. I stopped seeing her too. Now, all I have is you guys. I am grateful for that!

09/30/2011 07:35 AM
Dit
Dit  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

At the present time i take meds and see a therapist. I had a med change in Jan. and went thru living hell for 3 months, once I felt better i wanted my life back but i knew i could not do this alone, my therapist has helped me out so much since seeing him in i think May.

Over the many yrs having bipolar, (29 yrs i first got ill at 18 yrs old) i've seeked therapy off and on, i did not want to burden my husband with my issues and symptoms, he can only listen to me for so long although he always gives me an ear and is very patient and loving, i need more support. Also, i needed to reach out to therapy always when desparate b/c i became a mother and i know i need to be healthy for my children.

There were periods that i did not get therapy i felt well enough, but i kow for me there are times i need guidance and support from a neutral perosn and not family and friends.

Post edited by: Dit, at: 09/30/2011 07:36 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved