MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/01/2011 04:01 PM

Memory problems

capecod84
capecod84  

I have had problems recently remembering things. I don't know if its because of the meds or lots going on, perhaps bipolar. My guess is the meds. Who has gone through this? Does therapy help you? I am hopefully starting school in 2012 and taking a class in the fall.

06/01/2011 05:01 PM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have problems remembering things when I have too much going on. Therapy hasn't really helped me with this, but it may be different for you. I think it's great that you are going back to school, I wish you the best of luck.

Post edited by: ASO1979able, at: 06/01/2011 05:02 PM

06/01/2011 06:02 PM
domsmama
domsmama  

I have had this problem for a very long time now. Apparently my short term memory confusion is due to my meds, but my long term memory blocks are bipolar related. Constant therapy sessions and lots of journal writing helps me.

06/01/2011 07:50 PM
Edyn
Edyn  

Sometimes not remembering can be a blessing. Otherwise, make a list, check it twice, and be specific. My husband gets mad at me cause I don't remember things he's told me. I told him to write it down but he gets all tied up in a snit and says he shouldn't have to. He's not too entirely supportive.

06/02/2011 07:21 AM
capecod84
capecod84  

I wonder if my lamictal or topomax could cause it. I wouldn't think concerta would. Even if I went to lithium or tegretol, perhaps geodon, I think it would be the same. Right now I have a lot of people telling me their problems and I want to help and I don't no how. My closest friends are going through difficulty, me I am just used to living with it day in and day out. I just need to move on but I have to be there and not just walk away.

06/02/2011 07:33 AM
domsmama
domsmama  

Topamax is a big culprit! I had no problems with confusion or short term memory loss until I went on it. However, it has helped my bipolar immensely.

06/02/2011 08:14 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6816
Group Leader

There's a reason Topomax has the nickname "Dopamax". Supposedly, it muddles some people's thinking. It just made me jumpy and gave me diarrhea.

Thank goodness there are so many drugs out there. We all react to them differently.

06/02/2011 08:56 AM
capecod84
capecod84  

Thats what I have been thinking. I think a lower dose may help. I may only need the lamictal.

06/02/2011 09:56 PM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have serious memory problems. My husband is always claiming he told me some thing and I just have no memory of it at all. I must write it down. I write a lot of things down. It is just the routine in my daily life. I have a timer for the kitchen so I don't burn the house down, and I use one to do the laundry with too. other wise I just forget! I get side tracked a lot and loose time on the computer. you know cyber space. I have no idea which med would cause that I have had this forever. I have been on many different meds and can't say really it was any one of them. With me, I just think it is the bipolar.

06/07/2011 03:42 AM
milkmoney
milkmoneyPosts: 35

I have big chuncks from growing up to probably early to mid 20's I can't remember that I guess is from BP. And probably some after that. But the reason I can't put the right words together to make a sentence now is because of the Topamax. My husband is the smartest man I've ever met our conversations are lacking. He'd never admit to that, that's my own opinion. I've been wondering lately: If you stop taking the Topamax (with Drs supervision) Does the correct brain function come back?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved