MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/12/2011 07:13 AM

Kitten Help Please (Anxiety)

mem6800

I just got a kitten and am feeling invaded which is causing anxiety. The kitten soars through the house, and my father has little tolerance. I live with my father. His lack of tolerance is what is causing my anxiety -- that and the kitten's clingy-ness. In fact, I have closed the door so he can't get in, so I can type this post.

I got the kitten for love and companionship while I'm going through this period of realizing what I have suppressed for so long and while healing. But, he's doing the opposite. I hear my father fussing at him, especially early in the morning, which heightens my anxiety (I've already taken a klonipin this morning). I've caused an uproar in the house. I'm already having problems getting to sleep, so I'd appreciate being able to sleep peacefully in the morning.

The kitten jumps on furniture, which cats do. But, my father isn't used to that. He does dart around our legs which makes it hard to walk, and since my father is 84 years old, that worries me.

Is anyone a cat owner? Will this kitten settle down? Will he stop racing through the house, jumping all over the place and running between our legs?

Please help. I know my pdoc isn't going to up my prescription of klonipin and xanax because of a kitten.

04/12/2011 07:28 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

How old is the kitten?

04/12/2011 07:40 AM
mem6800

9 weeks.

04/12/2011 10:16 AM
battywitch
battywitch  

I'm sorry to say that the kitten won't fully settle down until around 2 years old. If you find that you need some quiet time you could get a dog cage for him. I have done that in the past with kittens that I have had. That way at least you can get a few hours of time to yourself. He will gradually slow down though and if he is behaving in a way that you don't like, you could always use a spray bottle with water in it and spray him every time he does that behaviour. They do learn quickly when you use a spray bottle so I hope that this helps you.

I have recently adopted an adult cat from our local cat rescue and she hates me being out of her sight but luckily due to her being older, 6 years old, she is pretty calm.

I have also volunteered with the local cat rescue as a fosterer for mother cats and their kittens, so I am looking forward to my first lot arriving here soon.

I do wish you all the best with your new buddy and hope that he becomes as much of a blessing in your life as my little cat is in mine.

04/13/2011 02:07 AM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Has it been neutered or spayed? That can help. exercize out side too . the dog crate is a good idea too just fill it with some old clean bedding for him kitties like to burrow under the covers to sleep. I sleep with my baby animals so I don't have to listen to them crying from separation anxiety in the night. They out grow it when they get bigger. I bet dear old dad will warm up up to him especially with your gental encouragement and supervision and love.

I have horses and sometimes they make a rucus and jump the fence then we have to go hook up the horse trailer and go get them. I live in the city limits (barely, on the edge of town)When one gets loose I get scared he will get ran over by a car b/c he always heads towards town. I cannot live without animals They help soothe what ails me (bipolar)I have dogs too. My little MinPin is always underfoot in the kitchen but he knows what 'git' means now.This too will pass. My opinion and experience only..

p him after a while and will be holding him and petting him too, especially if you ever so gently help this process along, supervised by you. Who can resist a kitty especially after living with one for a while. We get so attached.If he gets under foot for dad pit him in his crate where he can see you and feel not so separated from you. My opinion and experience only. Maybe dad will go to pet store with you and kitty and buy him a toy, then he's hooked.

04/13/2011 03:10 PM
capecod84
capecod84  

My sister had a cat. That thing was crazy. It would run around the whole house. When you would sit down it would try to attack you, this was even after they had it fixed. I was really angry because I don't like cats. It would scratch on my door and whine in the middle of the night. One thing you could do is keep the cat in your room. I think having an 84 year old father you have to be careful. If the cats not in your room, maybe you could keep it in a crate or let it play outside. I know when my sister had the cat, I had to keep my room locked so the cat wouldn't come in. I wouldn't sit on the furniture in the house and spent all of the time in my room. I began to think the cat was more of a family member than me. The cat even had its own chair in the living room. My point. Don't let the cat interfere in the relationship with your father, he's the only one you have. There's already the bipolar and he may feel like he's being replaced or like you are pushing him away with the cat.

04/13/2011 03:13 PM
gurlindie

I read somewhere that cats are considered to have bipolar traits. Don't know how true this info is. but find it interesting.

04/13/2011 04:04 PM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have a kitten that is almost a year old, she was about 8 weeks old when I got her and very hyper. She still has her moments of running through the house jumping on things, but it's not as often as it was in the beginning. I wish you the best of luck!

04/15/2011 10:58 AM
mimmy
mimmy  

i have a 13 year old cat. she "works out" every evening about five minutes after we all go to bed- for about 15 minutes...howls and everything. then it's back to sleeping. yes, I think she will calm down. I can't imagine what our new neighbor thinks(we live in sort of a townhouse apartment building). cats are socal creatures who need to feel secure. ours follows my hubby around all day when he's home..even into the bathroom if he lets her. but we are rather laid back about it.

we did, hoever have to train her not to jump up on the kitchen table. spitzing her with a water bottle every time we caught her did it. after a while all we had to do was pick up the bottle. then all we had to do was snap and point and she got down..now she doesn't even try. not even, I suspect, when we aren't here.

really they are a little like small children in a way. as there is some committment invovled. training/feeding/quality time/doctors/....but that nuzzle in the morning...and goodnight kisses and such..I wouldn't trade it...Smile

Post edited by: mimmy, at: 04/15/2011 10:59 AM

04/15/2011 08:21 PM
mem6800

Thank you so much for this message Mimmy. I don't want him on the table either. I got a water bottle, and it's taking him a while to catch on, but I'm sure he will.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved