MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/31/2011 04:18 PM

tv, internet, moods and sleep

capecod84
capecod84  

I have found since I lost my job I am spending hours watching tv and on the internet. I am looking for work constantly and on face book. I can't help but see the news. I am one of those people once something starts happening like Libya, I research everything about it: history, state sponsered terrorism, etc. I have started having really bad nightmares like I did after 911 and have become hypervigalent. I don't want to say paranoid, because when I get out of the house and am around people I am find. I just feel incredibly anxious

and am unsure why. I find myself discussing politics more and more which I am not sure if this is a sign of mania or just a reaction to the environment around me. Whatever it is I don't like my mood and I want to socialize with others more and I am finding it difficult because of this mood/or being glued to the tv.

03/31/2011 04:33 PM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That reminds me of me! I am what I call a 'news junkie'. I get on tangents where I have to research things on the internet til I exhaust the subject, or myself before I finally can give it a rest. My latest tangent is Japan. I have to have the scoop on every single news report I can find on the disaster. I also find myself researching the faults in Japan and the Geography of Japan too. Also their export and import issues they are having at this time. I also have to know as much as I can about our military over there and what they are dong. It just goes on and on like that for me; just like this entry!!!

03/31/2011 05:25 PM
capecod84
capecod84  

What I am expericing is exactly what Kelti is talking about. Alot of the anxiety is trying to self diagnose if I am worse because of the job loss or the behavior. As a four year old I had all of Ronald Reagans cabinet memorized. I don't know maybe I am finally spending time on something I am interested in even though its dark. I need to find a way to take some of this interest and develop a hobby, volunteer or a career.

04/01/2011 08:22 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Except for your discomfort with it, which you seem to have resolved in the post above, I don't see anything pathological or odd about your facination with current events as long as long as you feel as sense of control over it, and your anxiety is not overstimulated. Sometmes our attractions are to rather morbid news stories, and I feel this is just human nature. There is a fine line between the excitement the news broadcasts generate in an attempt to hold our attention, and anxiety. Perhaps some self-talk around this issue might help.

04/06/2011 01:58 PM
pedrolive
pedrolivePosts: 24

Hey capecode84 the way you're describing that you look for all the info on something I'm just like that and once I get on to something I just can't stop if it something like a hobbie I will add all the interesting websites to my bookmarks, I will even change my desktop wallpaper and start posting about it on facebook, I'll register forums and download ebooks and documentaries/videos/etc about it, its like searching non stop.

So I do really relate with what you are saying.

Is that considered to be mania?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved