MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/27/2010 11:55 PM

Bipolar and no medication

cynthia41256

So I was taking medication for about a year when i decided to get off the medication because i felt drowsy all the time and life was always a fog. I tried different medication but the side effect were always the same. I've been off my medication for about a year now and things have been going well about till right now. I've been feeling very depressed and have had horrible anxiety. If any of you have any ideas on how to stay positive and how to get some energy please do. And yes I know many of you will say medication. I would like other alternatives. Thank you Smile

12/28/2010 03:17 AM
mem4809

Although I hate the meds, I know I need them. Maybe it is time to reconsider. You can try cognitive behavioural therapy but I find in reality BP is a chemical imbalance in the brain and needs to be directly treated for lasting success.

12/28/2010 05:36 AM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Cynthia, Welcome to the group! I have gone off of my meds before too, I was off of them for about 3 years when I realized that my life was a living hell without them. I went from depressed to full-blown mania when I was unmedcated and it did nothing but reak havoc in my life. I would strongly suggest getting back on your meds, if they make you feel groggy try taking them at night. Te side effects should go away after a wile and there are meds that don't have as many side effects. Another alternative is fish oil and vitamin D, my pdoc recommended that I take these with my meds but they may help you too.

12/28/2010 07:47 AM
Dit
Dit  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Cynthia and welcome this is a very supportive group. There are others here who also do not take medications for varous reasons, some suffer greatly and some seem to get over their episodes and then cycle again and are struggling. I've met people who have changed their diets and feel so much better and don't take meds. For me ive been taking meds for a long time and i know i need them b/c whenever my Lithium dosage goes down lately the bipolar symptoms start to act up within 4 months or so and i'm medicated and this still happens. I wish you all the best, glad you've found this group. I come online here daily and no longer feel alone. Take care and i hope you feel better soon.

12/28/2010 12:08 PM
DinoDarius
DinoDarius  

Hi Cynthia, Welcome.

There are a lot of side effects to many medications that tend to make you really exhausted. I know when I first started my Abilify I felt tired all the time. Once the medication gets in your immune system it shouldn't be as bad as it was when you first started your medication.

There are also some alternatives that you could do if you don't want to take medication. You could diet like Dit said and that would maybe help you out some. Also, you could try exercising which has something to do with releasing endorphins into the brain just like an anti-depressant.

I hope you find something soon, keep in touch! Smile

12/28/2010 01:27 PM
jenny1978
jenny1978  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group. This is a great group to belong to. I went undiagnosed for many years and i ended up medicating myself with opiates. Big mistake! I know that you want other options besides medication, but all I can say is that I know my medication is what keeps me stable and functioning. I too have bad anxiety and have to take medication for it. Try some deep breathing and maybe some meditating. Get regular exercise and eat healthy. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!

12/28/2010 06:16 PM
Siddbartha
Siddbartha  

I find it impressive that you made it a year without meds before you started having problems. I would usually get in trouble in month or so.

I like to go for a 30-45 min run/swim/bike-ride to help clear my mind and calm anxiety. When I am done, and I can feel my muscles aching, it really draws my attention (and blood circulation) away from my brain. I recommend at least 3 days a week, but if you want good results, go for 6, with one day rest. Try not to run two days in a row until you are in very good shape, since your body needs time to heal. Over time, the transformation I have seen in my body has been a real boost to my self esteem.

Also, I write in a journal about everthing that triggers anxiety. I try to discover what part of my ego feels vulnerable, and why.

Post edited by: Siddbartha, at: 12/28/2010 06:51 PM

12/28/2010 06:38 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I commend you for being off medications for a year. That is great. I don't really have any advice to offer, but maybe give the medications another try. I have found a combination that works for me where I have very little side effects. I am currently stable and it's great. We have a chemical imbalance in our brain and what we need are chemicals to get that balance. I don't think you will find these in anything else but the medications in my opinion. I strongly believe in the drugs that correct our imbalance. If you find that nothing is helping you, I hope that you would give them another try. I would hate to see you suffer when you don't have to. This site is very helpful and I really hope that you like it. There are so many friends to be made and everyone is so friendly. You will enjoy the support. Welcome to the group!!

12/28/2010 08:55 PM
cynthia41256

Thanks everyone Smile I thought about medication but my mom always ends up changing my mind. Sometimes my mom likes to pretend im not bipolar and that the emotions i have everyone has them and i should deal with them like everyone else. I'm trying to have children this coming year and my mom said it would be hard if i started medication and then had to get off of it. But if things keep getting worst i will look into medication. Thamks for all the comments Smile they were all very helpful.

12/29/2010 02:57 AM
jaguarandcubs
jaguarandcubs  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey Cynthia. I know how it is to have family members who don't think you have anything beyond 'normal' - I kind of feel like my mum doesn't want to see that I am a 'defective' model! But show me who ISN'T, I say. You have to do what is right for YOU, not what anyone else thinks is right. YOU know how you feel, you know that things aren't right.

Try alternative measures, but remember that in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. Smile

(I tried coming off my meds not long ago, and it was hell without them - so I'll put up with the side effects, which aren't really that bad any more)

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved