MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/09/2012 05:15 PM

wrong reason to cut back?

skeptical
skeptical  

Saw my pdoc today. It was an ok visit. The sneaky and unhonest part of me had thought I had gotten away with avoiding the topic of alcohol, but near the end of the appointment she asked about my current consumption habits. She has been on me for a while about having ativan within a short time of having a drink, and for good reason I have to admit to that. The ativan really helps me sleep, and I want to avoid drugs like ambien. Well, she doesn't want to give me another script for ativan until I cut back my drinking. I have one refill available on the current prescription, but after that, she would have to write a script for me. I am worried that she won't give it to me. So, I wonder if I can honestly cut back in order to get this med still? Is it wrong to simply cut back in order to get access to a benzo? I feel like this is not quite the right reason to cut back on drinking, though I suppose any reason is better than continuing the path I have been on? My honesty is going to be put to the test I suppose. Do I really cut back over the next month and rightfully get the meds, or will I end up stuck in this pattern and lie to pdoc? I feel awful just saying that. I should not be lying to her at all, but I know myself and how I minimize things. Well, anyway, just felt like getting out some thoughts.

Hope everyone is well tonight.

03/09/2012 06:40 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

I lied to my docs and therapists for years while getting klonopin. The high from klonopin and alcohol was really great but dangerous as hell. I finally injured my heart doing this and finaly came clean. No more klonopin till I got sober. Been sober goin on 6 years now. I can look in the mirror now and I got my klonopin back. Made life much happier for me because I did not have to lie anymore.

03/10/2012 09:42 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I lied to my docs and therapists for decades taking ambien and other psychotropics while blacking out every night from drinking. Once caught in that circle of deceit getting out is hell.

Who knows how many of those black outs were caused by the combination of meds and alcohol?

Frankly, I'm surprised I have any brain cells left at all. I remember being smarter.

I think any reason is a good reason to cut back.

03/10/2012 09:50 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I agree with Sarah. Any reason to cut back is a good one. You will adjust to drinking less and that may lead to realizing you don't NEED to drink like you have been and will find drinking less feels good. There is always potential danger in mixing the two anyway. Be honest about it. Cut back so you can be.

03/10/2012 09:56 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

i guess i have been lucky about not having to worry about mixing meds with alcohol, use love diet pills and beer, made mess of the body tho, i am sure, must of done my kidneys in, they are ok now, use to get kidney stones a lot, i think mountain dew causes more damage, but that is ok, it is sold to all the kids, i will ask a question here, is taking meds just a trade off from the alcohol, or do the meds replace the alcohol, or keep you from drinking, changes mood so you do not have to drink?

03/10/2012 04:46 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

Don't mentoin kidney stones. They terrify me.

03/10/2012 04:48 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

If you think you can cut back and you are really a problem drinker...cutting back will not work.

03/11/2012 10:09 AM
skeptical
skeptical  

OK well my goal for this week is to NOT replenish my alcohol supply. There is one single Smirnoff Ice in the fridge, no wine or anything else. There is stuff in the liquor cabinet, but I almost never ever drink the hard stuff during the week. I am not the type to get that desparate for a drink that I would drink anything I can get my hands on. I just don't like alot of the hard liquors. Anyway, that is what I am aiming for this week.

03/11/2012 10:40 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

It's a good start. One step at a time. You need to come up with alternatives to drinking if you run out. Getting on here is one. We're always more than happy to talk to you. But there are other things you need to find to do to occupy yourself to do rather than drink when the alcohol runs out if it does. Otherwise it may be tempting to go buy more. I am rooting for you!!

03/11/2012 01:46 PM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

I know I'm a little late chiming in on this one. I am currently taking pain meds (narcotic), Adderall (narcotic for ADD), Prozac, Zaproxen and Klonopin and most days washing it down with Nyquil because that doesn't get questioned by my husband or mother (who lives with us). However, I am going back into therapy starting tomorrow morning and will let the therapist know exactly what I've been doing. Hopefully, I can get honest and back on the road to sobriety. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't bring up AA. I threw away 16 years of continuous sobriety last June and still can't believe it.

Skeptical, I apologize for stomping all over your post. What I meant to say to you is that deception is a big part of our problem, for those of us with mental disorders and addictions. We can only be as honest as we can at that particular moment.Good luck to you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved