MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/27/2010 04:59 PM

AA or not

Young47
Young47Posts: 163

So a poll of opinions... Do people with bipolar disorder and alcoholism NEED to join AA?

10/28/2010 12:11 AM
sporkreaper
sporkreaper  

You don't NEED to do anything. You should do what makes you comfortable though. I am bipolar and after waking up from a suicide attempt in May I decided to take care of all of my problems. I went to rehab and started going to AA meetings when I got out. I used to go everyday, slowly I stopped going to meetings. They do offer a great deal of support and I would recommend going any day, any time. No matter where you are or how low you are feeling, there is always a group of perfect strangers out there that will take you in with open arms and help you sort yourself out. Sometimes it's exactly what we need. The fact that you're bipolar really has little to do with deciding whether you should join up with AA or not. If I feel like I need a meeting, I go. The bottom line is, if you don't feel like going to AA meetings, you won't go. They don't define your disease or condition, the meetings can only help. Good luck to you

- Ren

10/28/2010 01:08 PM
bipolarone
bipolarone  

Hi Young! I have bipolar and am an alcoholic and found that when I attended AA I really got a lot of help out of it. It gave me the tools to use daily to get me through that 24 hours I was in. These things you will learn if you go. You will be welcomed with open arms like here and you will be like family. I went from drinking every day for 2 years to maybe once every 3 months then having my last drunk 6/27/2009 until just about 2months ago when my bipolar got the best of me and I downed a bottle of sleeping pills with a bottle of wine. I didn't drink to get a buzz I drank to make the sleeping pills work faster. Obviously it didn't work or I would not be responding to you. I ended up in a mental institution scared out of my mind. I am still using the tools I learned in AA to know I only have this 24 hours I can control and decide not to drink. But I don't have the urges I use to because of putting so many 24 hour periods between me and my last drink. Before I attempted to take my life I was not properly treating my bipolar. When they let me out of the hospital I actively started getting myself together so not to end up a drunk again or being successful if I tried to take my life again. I say find an AA group and go, I went to 3 different one on different days of the week. Different people but same common goal and as the put it in AA "Keep coming back it works if you work it". Best of luck in your journey! Gina

11/10/2010 08:41 AM
md51

I just joined the group today and read your posting. I was in recovery a few years ago and found that going to AA was helpful with my drinking but not my bipolar condition. After two years my sponsor told mr that no 12 step program could help me as long as I had a chemical inbalance. In other words, the program is not for everyone. I will say that AA helped keep me sober.

11/14/2010 11:04 PM
BPB
BPB  

There is a lot of controversy over chemical imbalance and sobriety as far as AA is concerned but I am one of those people that believe if it works...........use it. Many AA's believe that taking the meds required for bipolar do not constitute sobriety but I disagree-these meds make us "normal" and able to go out in the world and survivie. Many of the old timers in AA have this view so stick with the ones that are supportive of you and your sobriety and if the 12 steps work for you then go for it. Your sponsor must have been an old timer to have said what he/she said to you about your checial imbalance-you know it's not a curse and is not your fault-just another illness we deal with on top of everything else. You do what works for you. Many hugs, Carol

01/28/2011 09:56 PM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Some people in AA do not know what they are talking about. I am very careful who I share my bipolar I with. In AA it is called 'contempt to prior investigation', in the BB. If you had cancer or diabetes or ANY other illness you needed meds for, would you deny yourself the meds you need?? Of course not. A chemical imballance happens in a LOT of illnesses. That is why they run all those lab tests. So they will know what to Rx for you. So they can make a diagnosis. Without those modern loab tests we might as well be living in the dark ages. 2011 is better and so is our health. Isn't modern science miraculous??

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved